PDA

View Full Version : Collectable or not?

DamianCarvaLho
September 28th, 2006, 11:48 PM
I'm new, so I am not sure if I am to post this here or else where but here it goes. I was looking around at a local charity store today, (mostly in the computer section) when I found two older computers, one was more of a word proccessor with LCD screen kindof like the sharp pc-7000 but with built in printer and from wierd company, I am a computer user who, I would consider, is relatively new, but advanced. I am even a more new vintage computer collector. I have an Amiga A-500 (that I recieved last christmas) which I guess spured me more to the nostalgia computers. I have collected a Sharp PC-7000 (which I still need a 5.25 floppy drive so i can make a boot disk for) since the amiga. BUT, any way, I was in the store and saw a DOS compatable mac 6100/66 computer by itself (no HDI-45 monitor, though i did see a standard 15 pin mac monitor, no keyboard, no mouse, nothing) however it did have a price tag for $3.99 on top of the MINT condition desktop form factor case. NOW, i know (since this computer was made in 1995 and had a manufature run for about 3 months) that this is more of an obsolete computer, than it is collectable as of now being 11 years old. But since it is one of the macs that were made DOS combatable (says so on floppy door) and it was one of the more popular ones that sold quickly, does anyone think it is worth the space it would take up (which by the way isn't much as it is a smaller computer)? It would be nice for in the future if this would be worth more than $3.99 if you think it is more of a collector computer in the future please reply asap. I think they throw stuff out that they don't sell on Friday evening. Well Thankyou all for Your Time. And I Hope to be an Active member of This Community.
Damian Carvalho 1st Post

tgunner
September 29th, 2006, 05:27 AM
A DOS Compatiable MAC? What mad-ness!! I say get it and submit a picture. My guess is that it is one of those MAC clones which were released in the mid-90's.

mpickering
September 29th, 2006, 05:50 AM
Collectible is what you think it is. Only a handful of old computers are true investments (like old Altairs, IMSAIs, etc) and a lot depends on condition.

A DOS-compatible Mac? A little research turns up that it is a early PowerPC Mac. The DOS compatible aspect stems from the fact the 'PC' versions of this machine were fitted with a 486DX2/66 card so it could run DOS/Windows.

For $3.99, I would grab that. You shouldn't have difficulty getting the parts you need to get it up and running. Is it collectible? I don't know. It is definitely the more unique of the two 6100 models.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac/stats/powermac_6100_66.html

Just what I dug up with a quick Google search. Neat machine.

Matt

NathanAllan
September 29th, 2006, 06:00 AM
Heck yeah, for that price I'd grab it, too. It just sounds like a neat machine to tinker with.

Nathan

Terry Yager
September 29th, 2006, 07:30 AM
I can't swear that it'll ever be worth anything, but I'm going with the consensus. I wouldn't let it get away for four buck$.

--T

NathanAllan
September 29th, 2006, 10:41 PM
I can't swear that it'll ever be worth anything, but I'm going with the consensus. I wouldn't let it get away for four buck$.

--T
Come to think of it, if that wierd machine you saw with a built in printer is still there I'd get that, too, if it wasn't too much. Maybe you can make it talk to your "new" Dosmac. :P

carlsson
September 30th, 2006, 03:24 PM
I was going to suggest maybe the SuperDrive being able to read PC floppy disks was the reasoning behind DOS compatible, although an add-on board for a 486 sounds even closer to the truth. Perhaps the machines who still have this add-on board are more valuable than a regular PMac 6100/66?

Vlad
September 30th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Come on folks, Apple's search box is not rocket science.

Would it be one of these?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=112308

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=112303

BOTH have a Mac Processor and a 486. They use DOS 6, Windows 3.x and Mac OS. As far as I've seen these are the only two like that I've ever come across, there may be more.....

-VK

carlsson
September 30th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Sounds more like this:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=112290

Vlad
September 30th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Ah Ha! There IS another one.....

I have a Preforma 630CD, but sadly, its the Mac Only one.....
I'd be cool to have one of those, the best of both worlds. 486DX2 AND a Mac. Wow.

-VK

carlsson
October 2nd, 2006, 11:38 AM
Question is, would you prefer a 68K + X86 Mac, or a PPC + X86 Mac?