PDA

View Full Version : Commodore 128, 1541, and VicModem

geddydawg
December 11th, 2014, 05:36 AM
Hello,
Ive recently been handed down the above, a Commodore 128, a 1541 floppy drive and VicModem. Also, a lot of floppy disc that look like game and office use.
The item do function, as I have plugged the items in and powered them up, well, not the modem I guess.
Are these something that people still use, or collect? Im honestly not sure what to do with these items currently. Any tips anyone could offer?

CanadaPhil
December 11th, 2014, 01:22 PM
To be blunt, if you did not actually use this kind of gear 30 years ago and are nostalgic for it again, I would say that it probably has next to ZERO value for you.

commodorejohn
December 11th, 2014, 02:27 PM
I don't think anybody uses modem cartridges these days (though I could be wrong,) but plenty of people still enjoy mucking around with the Commodore 8-bitters. If nothing else, there's some sweet games for 'em :)

KC9UDX
December 11th, 2014, 03:24 PM
Yep, you could be wrong. :D The modem cartridges are still barely useful. I expect when C='s get rare, the modems will be highly sought-after.

geddydawg: There are certainly a lot of people using and collecting them, rather fanatically. Take a look at some of the YouTube videos, maybe, and see if you see anything interesting. Else, there are a lot of people here who would probably buy it all from you.

geddydawg
December 11th, 2014, 03:36 PM
I dont believe its something Id use... If you happen to know of anyone that would be interested, Im sure I could be talked into selling it.

dhoelzer
December 11th, 2014, 04:36 PM
This stirs up memories for me, strangely enough. When I first went to college I had a 300 baud VicModem leftover from my C64 (which had gone to a new home by then). I also had a spiffy new Epson 8088 PC (no idea who actually made it). The trouble was I had no modem.

A few hours with a voltmeter, clippers and a soldering iron and I had added a DB-25 to it and had it jammed into and powered by the Epson, providing a handy and zippy 300 baud modem with which to connect to the college mainframe. :)

Ah, those were the days.

I don't think anybody uses modem cartridges these days (though I could be wrong,) but plenty of people still enjoy mucking around with the Commodore 8-bitters. If nothing else, there's some sweet games for 'em :)

CanadaPhil
December 11th, 2014, 05:35 PM
The only remotely practical use I can possibly think of for a 300 baud modem today would be to simply use it as an "autodialer" for voice calling a phone number stored in a vintage database contact list... Like the rolodex like GEODex under the GEOS OS.

In any event, from the OP's point of view, the "MODEM" is 100% useless.

I would suggest he Google a pdf file of the Commodore 128 Quick Start or setup guide and see if ANY of it makes the least bit sense to him. He can try using the 128 in C64 mode with the 1541 (assuming he was given all the required connecting cables)

And then there is the question of hooking the thing up to a TV!!

NeXT
December 11th, 2014, 05:59 PM
I used a Vicmodem earlier this year to contact a metering station. It was god awful slow but it worked amazingly.

k2x4b524[
December 11th, 2014, 06:04 PM
I wouldn't say modems are completely useless. There probably quite a few that would keep them in service for purely historical value. Then there are a few that still run a BBS, YES they ARE out there, just gotta know where to look.

And as for hooking it to a tv? THAT is stil more than possible, you just need the appropriate adapters to make it so. OR do what i did, and set up a tweener with windows 95 and an old matrox that has the extra memory and TV tuner board attachment...

KC9UDX
December 11th, 2014, 06:28 PM
The only remotely practical use I can possibly think of for a 300 baud modem today would be to simply use it as an "autodialer" for voice calling a phone number stored in a vintage database contact list... Like the rolodex like GEODex under the GEOS OS.You're going to do that with cell service? :D

In any event, from the OP's point of view, the "MODEM" is 100% useless.

1) It's a fitting part of the collection.
2) It probably has some $ value on eBay.
3) It can be used as a crude connection to another computer with a modem.
4) It could be used to connect to Q-Link if that ever happens again. ('s why I have one)

Rick Ethridge
December 11th, 2014, 07:12 PM
The C=128 and 1541 drive are still useful with the right software. Much of the software games and utilities can easily be found on the web but you'll need conversion software and a special cable (cheap). The VICModem was the cheapest, most basic modem available. As such, it's usability is negligible. It maybe useful for transferring software between computers but it is "dog slow". I'd keep it as a souvenir.

CanadaPhil
December 12th, 2014, 03:16 AM
The OP gave me the impression he has NO experience using Commodore hardware at all, so I dont see what a discussion about what a 300 baud "modem" originally intended to work with rotary dial landlines will accomplish.

OP, if you can get as far as connecting up your pc and floppy to a display and can get image then....

place a floppy disk in the drive and type..

GO64 (Return)

LOAD"*",8,1 (Return)

((Now go grab a coffee, or walk the dog cause you may be WAITING a lonnnnng time!))

See a flasing "READY" again? Then type...

RUN (Return)

((and go from there))