PDA

View Full Version : LSMI - Laser Magnetic Storage International

PeterNC
December 17th, 2014, 06:10 AM
Laser Magnetic Storage International (LMSI) was a subsidiary of Philips that designed and manufactured optical and magnetic media. It began as a joint venture between Philips and Control Data Corporation.

Products
CM-100: external CD-ROM.
CM-121: external optical storage.
CM-201: internal 5.25" SCSI CD-ROM drive.
CM-205: internal 5.25" CD-ROM drive (1X speed) with proprietary LMSI interface.
CM-206: internal 5.25" CD-ROM drive (2X speed) with proprietary LMSI interface.
CM-212: internal SCSI 5.25" CD-ROM drive.
CM 221: external SCSI CD-ROM drive.
CM-225: external CD-ROM drive with proprietary LMSI interface.
CM-231: external SCSI CD-ROM drive.
CM-250: internal 5.25 CD-ROM drive (1X speed).
CM-50: external CD-DROM drive.
LD-510: internal SCSI CD-ROM drive.

The proprietary 16PIN LMSI CD-ROM interface was relatively short lived and existed on LMSI interface cards and a few ISA sound cards:

Sound Blaster Pro 2 CT1620
Sound Blaster 16 ASP CSP CT1780
Media Vision Jazz 16 LMSI
Pro Audio Spectrum LMSI
Magnetic products were geared towards corporate mini computer environments (like the IBM AS/400).

LD-4100: cartridge optical storage.
LF-4500: cartridge optical storage.

Sold under the Philips brand:
CM-207: 5.25" internal IDE ATAPI CD-ROM[15]
CM-208: 5.25" internal IDE ATAPI CD-ROM
CM-218: 5.25" internal IDE ATAPI CD-ROM

salamontagne
October 22nd, 2016, 12:45 AM
I had one of these for a couple of years. 8 bit card, 16 pin. External cd-rom that looked like a audio component with the phillips branding. Worked in a friends XT! (at least it did...guy broke everything i gave him last i knew)

I've got the drivers for it somewhere if anyone's interested.

KC9UDX
October 22nd, 2016, 05:11 AM
Worked in a friends XT! (at least it did...guy broke everything i gave him last i knew)

He doesn't have a pressure washer and a YouTube channel by any chance, does he?

salamontagne
October 22nd, 2016, 06:48 AM
He doesn't have a pressure washer and a YouTube channel by any chance, does he?

:lol:

YouTube channel? Yes

Pressure washer? Oh, no. He's quite intelligent enough to understand certain toys can cause grievous bodily injury.

Actually, i was a bit crude with my wording. Its 1/2 a matter of circumstance (stored said XT/AT machine in a basement before he realized how badly humid it got down there) When i decided to try and revive it the traces were swollen so badly it looked like spray-on hammered-look paint. I had to sand and paint the metal of the case to prevent further rust/rot.

Though I still can't get him to invest in a decent online ups in a house with 1/2 the wiring shot... :hammer:

...and there's a ti-99 with the expansion chassis down there last i knew...

KC9UDX
October 22nd, 2016, 07:54 AM
Ouch.

Fix the wiring, don't hide the problem. Wiring in that state really is a fire hazard. If it were me and I couldn't afford to inspect and replace and bad wiring and connections, I'd at least be inclined to install new arc-fault breakers, and derate them considerably. It would at least certainly be worthwhile to listen for arcs with an untuned AM radio receiver.