View Full Version : Does anyone know what this thing is?

Ezra Bailey-Kelly
December 22nd, 2014, 12:31 PM
I found this in a old box of computer parts and I just can not figure out what it is, it has a long cord with a 3 pin connector at the end of the cord, it also has a suction cup thingy on it and it can be screwed off. If you know what this is please tell me I am very curious.
Photos here: http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/Ezra_Bailey-Kelly/library/Weird%20thingy

December 22nd, 2014, 12:53 PM
It could be an acoustic coupler for a telephone.

December 22nd, 2014, 12:55 PM
it's a microphone. -- you stick it on the back of the telephone handset (the suction cup may need licked.. lol), stick it behind the earpiece.. the other end goes into a tape recorder to record telephone conversations.
that's an old one.. for a reel to reel tape recorder.

Ezra Bailey-Kelly
December 22nd, 2014, 01:04 PM
Wow thank you I would never had guessed that. One more question, is it worth anything?

December 22nd, 2014, 01:26 PM
Wow thank you I would never had guessed that. One more question, is it worth anything?

Maybe you can extract the last owners DNA from the suction cup and sell it to the highest bidder?

December 22nd, 2014, 01:29 PM
modern ones that are new with mini phono plugs have sold as high as $25.. or $5 used.
Here is a vintage one listed for $14 (+$10 S/H).. but couldn't find anything vintage that has sold. -- the picture below looks to have a large phono plug.

December 22nd, 2014, 01:38 PM
one more thing.. now is the time to get a great price on Christmas cards from photo bucket.
make thoughtful holiday cards with your beautiful pics. lol