PDA

View Full Version : SGI O2 and SGI Indy - Documentation

dhoelzer
December 30th, 2014, 10:23 AM
This is really just to create some future documentation for any others who decide to go down the SGI road. :)

The Indy was super simple to clean up and get running. A bit of time with some steel wool cleaned up the galvanized parts pretty well on the back panel. A 128 Mb memory upgrade takes it up to 192Mb, a comfortable number for Irix 6.5. She's working happily with ElectroPaint flipping stuff around wildly.

The O2 did indeed have a faulty PSU. The behavior, in case someone in the future seems something like this too, is undocumented in the trouble shooting documents. Upon plugging in you would get a red power light and cooling fan for about 1 second, then it would go dead. The behavior is very much like any other switching power supply with no load attached to it. In my case it appears to be some weak capacitors in the secondary in the PSU, but at the moment these can be had for less than $30 in working condition on eBay.. Well worth the investment to me!

The O2 had a Photoshop and Illustrator license on it, both of which were expired (in '97!). This turned out to be easy enough to bypass, though I'll keep the details offline unless someone sends me a PM. Since it came with a 2 gig hard drive in it, though, it was sorely in need of an upgrade. After backing up both the Indy and the O2 over NFS to my Mac Pro, I worked out what was necessary to migrate my working Illustrator and Photoshop over to the Indy. The Indy is running Irix 6.5.15 while the O2 is currently running 6.3.

Migrating these two products over turns out to be pretty simple. Simply tar up "/usr/adobe" and the /usr/people/<youruser>/[Photoshop*|Illustrator*] and the .illustrator/.photoshop license files in the home directory of a user with a working install. With this done you can simply untar the files into /usr and into the home directory of a user that you wish to use these products with. Don't forget to back up the /var/flexlm/license.dat with your license keys too!!!

That's it so far. I have a brand new 72 gig SCSI drive that I just put into the O2's tray and set to auto-setup in the Irix 6.5 fx utility. Given that a 4 gig drive takes about 45 minutes I'm thinking I should check back sometime in the new year to see if the drive has been prepped and is ready for the install. :) A 512Mb RAM upgrade should arrive sometime tomorrow. With that installed, upgrades to 6.5 completed, Adobe stuff reinstalled and such, I should be ready to turn the two of these into Blender workstations and render nodes. Not especially fast ones, but the O2's memory architecture with the video display truly is unique and gives it some really nice performance even today.

dhoelzer
December 30th, 2014, 10:29 AM
And by the way... My O2 has it's complete plastic... I understand this is pretty unusual for an O2, and I can absolutely understand why. This stuff is like glass. I've had to break out the super glue twice in the last 20 minutes when applying even slight pressure to a locking tab to get the case apart. These things are brittle!!

ClassicHasClass
December 30th, 2014, 04:10 PM
People always hate on the Indy for being underpowered ("an Indigo without the go!") but I've found them to be solid and easy to maintain. Admittedly I have substantial nostalgia for the Indy, too, because I used one back in the day when I had a summer internship at the Salk Institute. Allegedly for rendering from the X-ray crystallography work, but it seemed to play a lot of sgidoom ...

Since SGIs, like Apples, have a lot of their mystique tied up in their appearance it's a crying shame that the O2 case is so easy to crack.

dhoelzer
December 30th, 2014, 04:14 PM
Since SGIs, like Apples, have a lot of their mystique tied up in their appearance it's a crying shame that the O2 case is so easy to crack.

I've actually been reinforcing all of the bits that seem fragile. This is what I keep the frames that model parts come on around for.. :) So far all of the repairs look good and are undetectable from outside.

The CD drive had a weird buzzing like a bad bearing in the motor that handles the tray. It also, strangely, refused to read certain CDs while having absolutely no problem with others. I found a replacement for $25 after disassembling the bad one and finding no damaged gear teeth or jumped tracks or anything. Again, I'd like to repair but for $25, who can argue? :)

paul
January 7th, 2015, 04:59 PM
I have the same two SG machines, the Indy still running 6.2 with only Doom loaded. Since it has the Sony PS with the thermally-controlled fan that never runs, I've wired it to run full-time via a resistor. I also have the 20" monitor, IndyCam and keyboard - all in as-new condition.

The O2 has 6.5.xx and has only Alias loaded. I've disassembled the entire unit and yes, several little parts broke. Seems to be made of a cheap form of ABS that seems to age poorly. A relative of mine picked another O2 up by the sides some years ago and the entire chassis dropped out of the case to the floor. It is a very delicate unit, just needs to be treated with care. The rattle on your CD drive was most likely caused by slippage at the motor drive gear - it's a well-known failure and I think they all eventually break.

I don't use these machines other than a yearly test, but I do keep them out on display in my living room.

dhoelzer
January 8th, 2015, 12:12 PM
I've got 6.5.15 on the Indy and 6.5.30 on the O2. They both have Illustrator, Photoshop, Blender and SoftImage 3d.

I also have Alias install media but my license.dat info doesn't seem to work. :( Maybe we can work out some offline horse trading. :)

The only thing that holds that O2 top on are the three screws through an extremely delicate arm under the block top cover. Very risky indeed! :)

I have the same two SG machines, the Indy still running 6.2 with only Doom loaded. Since it has the Sony PS with the thermally-controlled fan that never runs, I've wired it to run full-time via a resistor. I also have the 20" monitor, IndyCam and keyboard - all in as-new condition.

The O2 has 6.5.xx and has only Alias loaded. I've disassembled the entire unit and yes, several little parts broke. Seems to be made of a cheap form of ABS that seems to age poorly. A relative of mine picked another O2 up by the sides some years ago and the entire chassis dropped out of the case to the floor. It is a very delicate unit, just needs to be treated with care. The rattle on your CD drive was most likely caused by slippage at the motor drive gear - it's a well-known failure and I think they all eventually break.

I don't use these machines other than a yearly test, but I do keep them out on display in my living room.

22073 22072 22074