PDA

View Full Version : Most recient version of RT11 available?

8008guy
January 4th, 2015, 01:13 PM
Can anyone point me to the most recent version of RT11 that is available for download? Currently I have 5.03. I see references to 5.4.

Thanks,

len

8008guy
January 4th, 2015, 02:30 PM
May have answered my own question here... It looks like I can get 5.6 from this site. Does anyone know what drive a .dsk format is? I want to mount this in SIMH to build a bootable scsi drive for my 11/83.

ftp://ftp.trailing-edge.com/pub/rt_dists/dists/

Roe
January 4th, 2015, 06:37 PM
I've had good luck under simh using .dsk images as rq (aka mscp) disks. The problem is going to be the 11/83 SCSI controller, and the size of the actual SCSI hard disk. What hardware are you aiming for?

8008guy
January 5th, 2015, 12:46 PM
Hi Roe,

I set my SCSI2SD up as a RA92. I set it up as 1.46GB (3072000 sectors) with the SD config utility. The UC07 recognized everything. I'm wanting to install RT11 on one SD card and BSD2.11 on the other.

Will that combination work? or am I making the disks too large?

I've had good luck under simh using .dsk images as rq (aka mscp) disks. The problem is going to be the 11/83 SCSI controller, and the size of the actual SCSI hard disk. What hardware are you aiming for?

AK6DN
January 5th, 2015, 02:24 PM
I've got my 2.11BSD install on a 2G SCSI disk on an emulex UC18, it works just fine. I believe that I only setup the partitions for about 1G of storage total, as this was more than enough space for everything. The last 1G is unused.

For RT-11, it will run just fine on a 1G or larger disk using the DU device driver. However, a single RT-11 filesystem can be at most 32MB (ie, 65535 blocks of 512 bytes). So your RT-11 filesystem image will only use the low 32MB of that physical disk. Using the remaining 1.46G-32MB can be done in one of two ways:

First alternative is to use the UCxx config utilities to map the physical drive to multiple devices; ie DU0 is the first 32MB, DU1 is the next 32MB, etc. However SIMH will not support this, only the physical emulex UCxx controller will.

Second alternative is to find a later version of RT-11 that supports disk partitions. Then you can partition your physical device into Nx32MB partitions, and have RT-11 manage the partition mapping. This is only supported in the later versions of RT-11 (I see it in the v5.6 docs, but I don't recall when it was first released. The only other docs I have are for v5.1 and it does not support partitions). Don't know about v5.3 or v5.4, maybe others do.

wa2flq
January 5th, 2015, 06:29 PM
Look at the DUCM5D package by Chester Wilson at http://www.classiccmp.org/PDP-11/RT-11/freeware/dsk/misc/ for handlers that support partitioning by drives and multiple (!!) handlers.

I've recently used the TSX+ handlers for multiple physical drives on a UC07 and they work as advertised.

Take the time to go through the ducm.doc file first, as there is quite a bit of cleverness and a few gotchas that you will need to understand. It appears the DU (MSCP) partitioning evolved over the course of RT-11 v5.xx. The documentation infers (but I have not fully tested) that these drivers will work on any v5 variant. I also suggest running any configuration changes via the driver itself (r du.sys) rather than the OS set commands.

8008guy
January 6th, 2015, 03:39 PM
YEA! I got RT11 loaded on my SCSI2SD card and booted on my 11/83. The version loaded was the rt56b.dsk. I booted it from SIMH and did a manual install to a disk image file. Then I dd'd it onto the SCSI2SD card. I did set the SCSI2SD card up as a RA92. Although looking back using a smaller disk size will be a LOT simple and faster to handle. Raw file is 1.5 gig, being initialized to all zeros it should compress nicely.

When it boots is reports that it is 5.7.

So now the questions... :)

Is there a Y2K patch for RT11? Not that it is a big deal, but it would be nice if possible.

What size of disk would give me plenty of space for BSD 2.11? I want to have my SCSI2SD card configured so I don't have to reconfigure when I switch sd cards. It looks like my options are a RA72, RA82, or RA81. (Maybe others) But one of those would give me 1Gig, 608Meg, or 446Meg. The smaller size would archive on a CD, which I've seen comments on this list as being useful.

Suggestions?

Also, I would be glad to publish all my install instructions if that would be helpful. The UC07 config session was nearly verbatim from Matlock's posting. (THANKS!) Please let me know if any of you want to see end to end instructions.

len

gslick
January 6th, 2015, 04:38 PM
What size of disk would give me plenty of space for BSD 2.11? I want to have my SCSI2SD card configured so I don't have to reconfigure when I switch sd cards. It looks like my options are a RA72, RA82, or RA81. (Maybe others) But one of those would give me 1Gig, 608Meg, or 446Meg. The smaller size would archive on a CD, which I've seen comments on this list as being useful.

A full installation of 2.11BSD (installing all of the binaries and sources here:
ftp://minnie.tuhs.org/UnixArchive/PDP-11/Distributions/ucb/2.11BSD/ )
will fit on an RD54.

An RA81 sized disk should give you more space than you will likely ever use.