PDA

View Full Version : What should I do with all this gear?

Arsis
October 2nd, 2006, 04:27 PM
Hey folks.

While I am interested in collecting vintage computers I have found that I no longer have the space. I'm hoping that people here might be able to offer me some advice on what to do with some of the gear.

1 - Hitachi HL320 luggable (Japan 1988) serial# 107 512kb ram, 4Mb HD. In excellent running condition though a couple of keys don't work. Is this collectable or valuable? Should I sell it, throw it, donate it?

2 - Sharp PC 1500 with printer. Works great and is very clean.

3 - Amstrad cpc464. Works fine but no screen (just a modulator to run on a TV).

4 - A large collection of early (mid 80's) Amstrad and Commadore magazines as well as a bunch of C&VG etc.

To be honest... if any of these items are valuable I'd rather sell them (as I have a newborn daughter and not much money)... if not, I would rather donate them to a museum or person that would use them rather than add them to land fill.

Any advice on wether any items are valuable or where to donate them would be greatly appreciated.

EvanK
October 2nd, 2006, 06:32 PM
Where are you located?

Arsis
October 2nd, 2006, 06:51 PM
Sydney, Australia.

<edit>
BTW - I have found a place that will take the equipment and will recycle any componants that are re-usable... but I suspect that is a very small percentage... and what isn't recycled ends up in land fill. I have a bunch of other comps but have given them away via a local 'freecyclers' community.</edit>

nige the hippy
October 3rd, 2006, 01:52 AM
stick them on ebay in the "computing - vintage" section, you'll probably get a few quid / dollars / yen & you might be surprised, if you're in sydney, you'd probably end up with people picking the stuff up too, so hassle free.

chuckcmagee
October 3rd, 2006, 02:01 AM
Nige is right. There does seem to be quite a vintage crowd down under. Better than being smashed into a rotting apple with a tractor (landfill humour :rolleyes: )