PDA

View Full Version : This Old Shop

ribbets
October 3rd, 2006, 08:37 AM
What to do, with all the old parts and equipment in my shop. Not much software,wasn't any in 1970 when I started. Boxes and draws full of trans,diodes,and resistors,hell some as big as a pencill. Or a 25 mhz oscilloscope.And weighs around 90 lbs with a 5"screen. What on earth would you use that for now. Thousands of the decal stickers with the symbols on them when we used to silkscreen and etch boards.
Wide carriage printers (and the sound boxes) so we could print schematics off the microfiche usually from SAMS. Tube Testers,signal generators, transistor checkers and possibly the oldest stobe scope that I once used on rotary telephone equipment to test the the switches. But it still works ,,hope the bulb never burns out. Does anyone remember what a HYPOT meter was, Got that !! don't remember what I used it for though. Altos ACS8000 ,PS2 Model 25s, Remember taking the Altos out of a hospital and the cabling with it so they could put in a new system with something called Arcnet.. All still stacked up in The Old Shop. Not ever going to say this stuff still owes me money,I think it has payed for itself several times. BUT if anyone is interested in some of it ,, PM me and we can talk..
Thanks to chuckcmagee for reminding me of the good old days.

chuckcmagee
October 3rd, 2006, 01:41 PM
Wow, I "only" have about 3 plastic bags full of old PC parts (screws, power supply connectors, face plates, etc.) and a few drawers of other stuff.

I was building flip-flops out of 2N107(s) and vowel synthesizers around 1965 or 1966. (The thing I built only did one vowel sound at a time, had to rewire for other sounds, couldn't call it a voice synthesizer).

I even made a "binary adder" out of nothing but double throw triple pole switches. Used boolean logic rules to figure out the wiring. It even worked, did the binary carry thing correctly. Was a whole 2 bits wide :p

Lot of my old stuff was heavy. When you move often, the heavy stuff tends to not follow you.

ribbets
October 3rd, 2006, 03:11 PM
when the Sylvania lead wire plant was in Bangor,we would weld all the CRT pins for just about every tube maker in the world and we made just about every lead wire from incand.bulbs to heart pace-makers,moly foil for car headlamps to runway lights 3 ft.tall. When I first went there we would just bend test (a series of 90deg bends to test the knot) when I retired every single weld was stored in an active process monitor(an osciloscope type program)that registered the weld cycle of a spike usually 600 microfarads to 2000 microfarads on the heavier stuff, a smaller spike when it welded and then flatline. the program would measure the time of the second spike in millisec. and with ucl to lcl would turn off the welder if it wasn't within the right parameters and change the process monitor to a red color so you knew the process was out of control. All part of commiting to ISO standards so all these good jobs could be shipped to other countries.We did all the work and they got the jobs. Only drawback for us was, we (borrowed ) The technology from Europe, first took their jobs and NAFTA gave it to Central and South America. Justice