PDA

View Full Version : Image Making Error - Am I Nuts?

lyonadmiral
January 13th, 2015, 04:26 PM
It has been a while since I've worked with vintage but I wonder if my IQ dropped sharply.

I figured out a way to get modern files over to the vintage 5161 hard disk using a Backpack 3.5", so for example I copy all the files from the Advanced Diagnostics ZIP to a 3.5" then copy it from the Backpack to a folder on the hard disk. According to the readme the syntax that I should run is:

diskcopy 6139804.img a:

The system replies:

Specified drive is invalid, or non-removable media.

Drive A: is a 360k disk drive. Host OS is PC-DOS 2.10

I'm just trying to figure out why it won't make the disk and throws the error.

krebizfan
January 13th, 2015, 06:09 PM
I believe that diskcopy in DOS 2.1 knows nothing about disk images. FreeDOS diskcopy can do that as can diskcopy with late versions of DR-DOS. I doubt either tool would work under DOS 2.1 so you would need to create a bootable disk with a new version and use the tool there.

SpidersWeb
January 13th, 2015, 06:28 PM
An alternative (and small) tool to use is the DOS version of rawrite.

krebizfan
January 13th, 2015, 06:43 PM
rawrite needs at least DOS 3.21 according to the documentation.

SomeGuy
January 13th, 2015, 06:46 PM
Is that the dr-dos/caldera diskcopy tool? MS/PC-DOS diskcopy doesn't know how to do that :)

If it is the caldera diskcopy, then perhaps it expects a real FDC instead of the backpack drive? Some disk tools are like that, but that one should work at the BIOS level.

luvit
January 13th, 2015, 06:49 PM
I think mbbrutman's 'dskimage (http://www.brutman.com/PCjr/downloads/DskImage.zip)' works under dos 2.10

SpidersWeb
January 13th, 2015, 06:55 PM
rawrite needs at least DOS 3.21 according to the documentation.

:( Admittedly I don't use my PC DOS 2 machines to write floppy images, so I never noticed.

modem7
January 13th, 2015, 09:41 PM
I am positive that you are using the ZIP file of 'Advanced Diagnostics version 2.20' from [here (http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/51xx_manuals.htm)].
If so, the DISKCOPY referred to is a program supplied in the ZIP file.
As to why that DISKCOPY is unhappy about A: drive, I speculate that it may not be compatible with DOS 2.X (DOS 3 is as early as I go).