PDA

View Full Version : Two drive controllers possible?

Nama
January 19th, 2015, 04:36 PM
Hi all, Just wondering if it would be possible to have two drive controllers in one machine.
In my case one is a Northstar MDS controller @ E800H connected to dual 2.5" drives, and the other is a Morrow DJ @ E000H connected to dual 8" drives.

First I'll check that the addresses don't clash in any way, but was curious if fundamentally it was possible.

UPDATE: After quick look at the Morrow DJ board manual, it looks like the E000H (Morrow) and E800H (Northstar) addresses will work well together. Should I try it?

Thanks

Phil

Robin4
January 19th, 2015, 06:22 PM
I think it could.. The first controller card need to set to primary address.. The other one to secundairy address i think.. The rom adress needs to by high as possible. From CAXXX - CCXXX range.. Mostly harddisk controllers would use C800 or lower.. Otherwise the floppy disk controllers would not work properly if the address range is the same or lower as the harddisk controller one..

monahan_z
January 19th, 2015, 06:42 PM
Often done, one a floppy disk controller the other a Floppy disk controller. See here for example
http://s100computers.com/Software%20Index%20Page.htm.
Since you control the BIOS (MSDOS or CPM) you have 100% control.

John

Nama
January 19th, 2015, 07:26 PM
Thanks guys,
I'll give it a go this evening.

Phil

Nama
January 20th, 2015, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the detailed reply.
Last night I tried both controllers together.
So far I have yet to see any conflicts as you describe, and they both seemed to play happily together. Obviously it's too early to be 100% sure as I haven't done much with them yet.

Thanks again

Phil