PDA

View Full Version : Best file splitter under DOS?

per
January 22nd, 2015, 07:50 AM
I guess there is quite a few of them, all having their pros and cons.

I'm in particular looking for one that exclusively relies on DOS; that is no BIOS calls and no direct I/O. In the search I've come over a few programs (haven't had time to test them yet), but since there is apparently quite a few I was curious if anybody has any opinions on the different ones.

Stone
January 22nd, 2015, 07:57 AM
I have some ideas but it depends on what you're splitting, particularly the file sizes. Are you splitting something that will span multiple disks, even *many* disks? If so, PKZIP is fantastic for that job. Just zip the file(s) and direct the output to your floppy drive and the program does the rest. (It may required formatted floppies, but that's all the extra work you may need to do.) With this method you get the free compression as a side benefit. :-)

per
January 22nd, 2015, 08:24 AM
I have some ideas but it depends on what you're splitting, particularly the file sizes. Are you splitting something that will span multiple disks, even *many* disks? If so, PKZIP is fantastic for that job. Just zip the file(s) and direct the output to your floppy drive and the program does the rest. (It may required formatted floppies, but that's all the extra work you may need to do.) With this method you get the free compression as a side benefit. :-)

It's a 1.5MB file, and 360K floppies. The extra requirements is because allthough DOS compatible, is not at all a PC.

Thanks! Totally forgot that PKZip could split files.

vwestlife
January 22nd, 2015, 10:58 AM
Later versions of DOS's own BACKUP command will split a large file across disks.

Advantage is that it comes free with DOS; disadvantages are no data compression, you need the matching RESTORE program to copy & reassemble the file, and files backed up using DOS 3.3 or later cannot be restored using the RESTORE command from DOS 3.2 or earlier:

DOS Versions 3.3 through 5.0 stored backed up files in a different format than earlier versions (the new backup method requires less disk space). In these versions, the BACKUP program creates two files on the backup disk: BACKUP and CONTROL. The BACKUP file will contain all the files that were backed up and the CONTROL file will contain file storage information such as the paths and filenames of the source files.

konc
January 23rd, 2015, 01:28 AM
I'm using HJSplit because of its simplicity, the command to split a file into multiple and re-join it on the other side is really simple without having to remember the parameters to use.
Also same version works everywhere, from dos 3.3 & 8088 so it's a must for my little utils directory in path for every dos machine. It doesn't compress the files at the same time though, but you can always split an archive if size is really big.

I dropped pkzip for this purpose because you had to either zip directly on floppies (breaking the whole set if one disk was proven unreliable and eventually taking me more time) or remember a bunch of parameters/prepare batch files to create the files on the hdd first.
I also dropped dos's backup/restore programs for the reasons already mentioned, you can't use mixed versions and this is something I usually do on my pc's.

per
January 23rd, 2015, 08:51 AM
PKZip seems to spasm out just after starting to compress. Maybe it's trying to relocate the cursor (which will fail since his machine use a traditional ADM-31-like terminal-emulator for display).

HJSplit does use BIOS function 1Ah to get the time (which fails), but it seems to do the splitting OK :D

Chuck(G)
January 23rd, 2015, 09:52 AM
There are probably at least a dozen MSDOS file split utilities in the SIMTEL20 collection. Just search the index (http://ftp.fi.netbsd.org/pub/msdos/Anonymous.FTP/simtel20.idx). The file collection (as well as an ISO image of the CD-ROM) is on archive.org.