PDA

View Full Version : Charles Rivers Universe 68 system, my next project !!

Marty
January 26th, 2015, 03:51 PM
Hi All;
I have Dug out my Charles Rivers Universe 68 System..
And so this is my project for now..
It used to Work, but I know that the Floppy Controller is not working..
Everything else should be fine..

THANK YOU Marty

Marty
January 26th, 2015, 05:24 PM
Hi All;
Here are some first Pictures.. I still need to get the Floppy Drive from the Altair Floppy Box, and transfer it back here..
I was using it, to Bring up my New Floppy Controller from John and Andrew, and I needed something that I knew would Work..

22475 22476

THANK YOU Marty

pbirkel@gmail.com
January 26th, 2015, 09:57 PM
Never heard of it. But I did find this, which fills me in a bit:

http://comley.us/browse.php?&action=showProject&artefactID=1033

Marty
January 27th, 2015, 05:15 AM
Hi All;
It is a Dual 68000 machine, the main Processor is a 12 MHZ 68000, and the I/O Processor is a 8 MHZ 68000, all on the same Board..
I have the Manuals for it, and most of the Schematics.. What I am missing is the one for the Floppy converter from SASI to 50 pin Shurgart, as well as the Hard Disk.. Both are on the same Board.. It uses an OMTI 20D (I think) or am OMTI 5200..
I have two or three versions of the UNOS operating system, but at present, I am not sure what is bootable..
I need to install the floppy Drive, and Power it up, and that will tell me whether my memory of what I thought was wrong, is still correct.. I then need to trace from the 50 pin cable back to the OMTI Board, and start checking the IC's..
I never heard of a Datapoint CRDS, it is slightly different than the stock machine I have and the other machines that I have seen..

THANK YOU Marty

smp
January 27th, 2015, 06:28 AM
Hi Marty,

There is a LinkedIn group for former employees and former customers of Charles River Data Systems:

https://www.linkedin.com/groups/Charles-River-Data-Systems-Inc-2967713/about

You may be able to get information from them if you are a LinkedIn member.

Good luck to you!
smp

smp
January 27th, 2015, 06:36 AM
BTW, if you try to do any Google-ing, be sure to use the company name: Charles River Data Systems.

There is another company that exists today called Charles River Systems, but it is not the same company and has no relationship with the former CRDS.

smp

Marty
January 27th, 2015, 07:00 AM
Hi All;
SMP, I have applied to the group..
"" There is a LinkedIn group for former employees and former customers of Charles River Data Systems: ""
Well see if they will let me in..
Also thank you for the information on Charles River Data Systems..

THANK YOU Marty

Marty
January 27th, 2015, 12:15 PM
Hi All;
I have found that just like the DEC Machines, that the CRDS doesn't like my USB to Serial unit either..
I will need to go to a machine that has the old Serial Com Port.. Fortunately, I have one.. And XP..

THANK YOU Marty

Marty
January 28th, 2015, 03:17 PM
Hi All;
I finally got an XP machine with a Com Serial Port working..
So, it makes it through the Initializing tests..
But, Both the Floppy and the Hard Disk give the same type of Error..
I have no idea if it is the Controller/converter board, or the Board that is in the Machine, that is Bad..

THANK YOU Marty

Marty
February 6th, 2015, 07:59 PM
Hi All;
I got it to work, with my Televideo 970 Terminal..
Also, after taking all of the 74LS642's out and putting in Sockets.. And putting the 74LS642's back in, I got it to boot from the Hard Disk.. And for now the Floppy doesn't work.. But, I suspect, that If I switch the 74LS642's around, that I can get the Floppy to work, but not the Hard Disk..
I have some New Old Stock 74ALS642's coming, and should be here Early next week, and possibly, after putting in these new to me Ic's, I can make the OTMI 20D work again..
But, even with that, and it booting from the Hard Disk, that I need to figure out "How" to fix all of the Corrupted files to have a fully Runable system..
Maybe, If I can get the Floppy to work, and Maybe have Floppy Diskettes, that I can mostly read, I can slowly fix things.. If the version that I can read would be the same as is what's on the Hard Disk..

Here are some pictures..

22637 22638 22639

THANK YOU Marty

Marty
February 9th, 2015, 05:10 AM
Hi All;
I bought an Extra Memory Board, for the Universe 68 system, but the Board does not seem to work and locks up the Universe 68..
Also, today I should get the 74LS642's I bought..

Here is a picture of the Memory Board, my guess is its made by CCI, but I don't know who that is, nor do I find any information on them or it..

THANK YOU Marty

Marty
February 9th, 2015, 07:25 PM
Hi All;
I got the 74ALS642's and they Work fine..
Floppy still not working.. I took out the two 74LS240's and socketed and replaced them, and it is still not working..
Next, I am going to check and see where the floppy pinouts go and see how many of them go to the two 74LS240's, that I replaced, especially the Ready pin..
And then there is the two signals that go to the 74LS14, one goes to the Read Data pin, I need to find where the other one goes..
Then, hopefully I can account for all of the Floppy signals, and hopefully find out why it says Drive not Ready.. Possibly tracing the Ready Pin back further than the first IC on the OMTI 20D Board..

THANK YOU Marty

Al Kossow
February 10th, 2015, 05:21 AM
Hi All;
I bought an Extra Memory Board, for the Universe 68 system, but the Board does not seem to work and locks up the Universe 68..

Why would you think this would work with your machine? It is for a Computer Consoles Corp system. It appears to be Versabus but
who knows if they modified the bus protocol.

Marty
February 10th, 2015, 05:58 AM
Hi All;
Thank You Al, for Your answer..
I thought that if it was VersaBus, that any Board, would work with any machine..
Since the Board in my Machine is a not one made by Charles River but by another Manufacture, (I think) either Data Point or Data Clear.. I need to check.. It's DataRam..
Al, looking at what You have under DataRam, and it's all being DEC stuff, I am wondering If maybe Charles River made a Contract with DataRam to make their Memory Board for them..
"" It is for a Computer Consoles Corp system. "" Do You have any Information on this Board ???

THANK YOU Marty

Marty
February 11th, 2015, 03:15 PM
Hi All;
I have temporarily put the Charles River Universe 68 System away and Got out my Altair 8800 System, so that I can try to read the Floppies from the Universe 68 System.. See my other two postings one above and one in the S-100 listing..

THANK YOU Marty