PDA

View Full Version : 8080 single board computer?

snuci
February 3rd, 2015, 03:49 PM
This is probably the wrong forum but it's S-100 era so I apologize if it should be somewhere else.

I bought a bunch of items from someone recently and within a home-made computer keyboard enclosure (that looks totally cool) was, I believe, a full single board computer. That was a surprise to say the least. I've included a high resolution picture below. Has anyone ever seen it? I'd love to know what it is and who made it. Is there enough there to be a whole computer? The keyboard attached to the home-made case is made by Micro Switch. Looks to be from mid 70's?

Edit: Sorry, it got resized. You can download a hi-res picture at this link here (http://vintagecomputer.ca/?wpdmpro=intel-c8080-based-single-board-computer)

snuci
February 3rd, 2015, 04:33 PM
I added a high res photo link to the original post afterwards. Does that work? You can read the chips on it, at least.

xprt
February 3rd, 2015, 04:47 PM
Google "8080a hpr01" and you will find it. Seems to be a serial interface for Xerox Diablo terminals and printers.

snuci
February 3rd, 2015, 05:05 PM
Thank you! I was looking for "HPP01" as I thought was marked on the board but came up with nothing. So it's a Diablo keyboard assembly with HyTerm on the EPROMs making it a makeshift terminal? Very interesting. After a quick search, they keyboard actually looks very similar to this one: http://www.columbia.edu/cu/computinghistory/diablo.html

leiy
February 3rd, 2015, 06:53 PM
nice board, the date code of this 8080A?

snuci
February 4th, 2015, 08:03 AM
nice board, the date code of this 8080A?

As that was the only chip that could be removed, I did take a quick look. Here's a pic.

Seems a little late for the way it is marked and I'm surprised it wasn't stamped a little more cleanly.

leiy
February 4th, 2015, 08:12 AM
As that was the only chip that could be removed, I did take a quick look. Here's a pic.

Seems a little late for the way it is marked and I'm surprised it wasn't stamped a little more cleanly.

CPU is in very good sharp, date 7604 is perfectly matches the early computer board.

Thank you.

snuci
February 4th, 2015, 08:53 AM
For clarification, this is what the C8080a board was in. I thought it was cool just as a keyboard but we now know it has smarts. Note that the keyboard has the same key layout as the Diablo linked above:

This is the very definition of"homebrew" and I love it :)

snuci
February 5th, 2015, 03:50 PM
On a related note, in a pile of documents I found the "Theory of Operation" schematics for this board (the HPR01) and the companion HPR02. It must have been available separately.

JDallas
February 5th, 2015, 04:09 PM
I'd sure love to see a high rez of the schematics, just for the fun of it. Can't make any practical justification. :)

Be careful handling the 8080 chip... don't want to zap it with static electricity. I just had to mention that just in case... I assume by your VCF membership stats in the right corer of your post that you'd know that.

Yeah that photo of the keyboard does look a little different from the photo of the Diablo terminal. I can see why that level of electronics was a surprise.

snuci
February 6th, 2015, 02:46 PM
I'd sure love to see a high rez of the schematics, just for the fun of it.

With pleasure. http://vintagecomputer.ca/?wpdmpro=diablo-hyterm-hpr0102-board-schematic

It says it's for the HPR02 (my board is marked HPR01) but with a quick glance, the components look the same.

saundby
February 16th, 2015, 05:53 AM
I saw the pressboard and 1x2 construction in your picture and for a moment I thought, "Wait, is this something *I* built?" A closer look at the details, though, and no, it's not. But the same basic techniques in many ways.