PDA

View Full Version : Motorola MVME117 68010 VERSAdos

gslick
February 4th, 2015, 10:03 PM
Anyone here have any knowledge of early Motorola MVME 68000 series based CPU boards and systems?

I've had an MVME117-4 68010 CPU board with onboard 512KB of RAM plus an MVME222-2 2MB memory board kicking around for several years and I have never been able to find any users manuals for them. I have some small bare VME backplanes but don't really know if they would be suitable for these boards and have no idea how to configure them.

On bitsavers there are some VERSAdos manuals and what might be a version 4.3 distribution tar file from 1984, but M68KSYSGEN/D8 manual says support for the MVME117 wasn't added until November 1985. I don't have any idea what the VERSAdos OS is all about and if there would be anything interesting to do with it if I could get it running on the MVME117 CPU. Probably I'd have to find some sort of supported storage controller that I either couldn't find or would cost much more than it would be worth it to me just to tinker around with a system.

Any chance someone here happens to have a manual for the MVME117 CPU board? Maybe there is something interesting I could do with it if I knew how to configure it.

Marty
February 4th, 2015, 10:25 PM
Hi All;
Gslick, Pictures would be a Great help...

THANK YOU Marty

gslick
February 4th, 2015, 10:46 PM
This isn't my image, just one I found on the net.

I'm missing the MVME117 MPU VMEmodule User's Manual in the image.

I'll have to take some high resolution photos or scans of my boards.

There are some basic specifications of the MVME117 starting on page 2-52 of this Motorola handbook:
http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/motorola/_dataBooks/1987_Microcomputer_Systems_and_Components.pdf

rcooke
May 24th, 2016, 05:39 AM
I posted some info that you might find useful here:
http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?50720-Motorola-MVME133A-20-uses&p=414231#post414231

Al Kossow
May 24th, 2016, 07:37 AM
I posted some info that you might find useful here:
http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?50720-Motorola-MVME133A-20-uses&p=414231#post414231

If someone has a stash of VME board manuals, I'm looking for docs on the MVME-320 disk control 327 SCSI and Force DRAM-8C
I thought I had a manual for the 320, but can't find it anywhere.

m88k.com is also a good place to look, also
http://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/mvme68k/

Al Kossow
May 24th, 2016, 09:29 AM
Anyone here have any knowledge of early Motorola MVME 68000 series based CPU boards and systems?

I've had an MVME117-4 68010 CPU board with onboard 512KB of RAM plus an MVME222-2 2MB memory board kicking around for several years and I have never been able to find any users manuals for them. I have some small bare VME backplanes but don't really know if they would be suitable for these boards and have no idea how to configure them.

On bitsavers there are some VERSAdos manuals and what might be a version 4.3 distribution tar file from 1984, but M68KSYSGEN/D8 manual says support for the MVME117 wasn't added until November 1985. I don't have any idea what the VERSAdos OS is all about and if there would be anything interesting to do with it if I could get it running on the MVME117 CPU. Probably I'd have to find some sort of supported storage controller that I either couldn't find or would cost much more than it would be worth it to me just to tinker around with a system.

Any chance someone here happens to have a manual for the MVME117 CPU board? Maybe there is something interesting I could do with it if I knew how to configure it.

Dumping the firmware would be a good thing. If it's close to the original Exorciser, it might not be that difficult to get CP/M 68K going. The problem is the disk. MVME-320 would probably be the cheapest floppy controller board you'll find, but no docs. More useful would be a Force WFC-1, which there is documentation for. The problem with vme boards is they tend to make them too smart, with embedded 68K cpus on everything. If you don't have firmware documentation, you can't get very far.

I should do the same for my VME/10 system and see if there's still anything on the hard disk.

--

Thinking some more about this.. It would be pretty simple to stick an IDE interface on a VME card.