PDA

View Full Version : WP51 on XT with 640k -Problem

MauriceH
February 5th, 2015, 11:10 AM
I have an 5160 IBM PC with 640k mem. (256k on board, 384k ext.card)
Have a HD with WP51 installed, but
that WP51 keeps hanging.
It starts but at moments It hangs and PC have to restart.

I can't find on line the system requirements for wp51.

Than I re-installed WP51 from brand new never used 360k Floppys I still had in a sealed packedge.

Still after new install the program hangs, f.i. after closing a document, or trying to select a printer.
or at just asking the filelist with F5.

with c:\mem , I have at boot up, 531k free memory left.
Also Config, -> Files=20, buffers=40
Also at autoexec.bat the path=wp51
Checked file locations in WP51 settings and seems to be ok.

Maurice

Denniske1976
February 5th, 2015, 12:12 PM
I think WP 5.1 needs "FILES=40" in your CONFIG.SYS... that's what I always used on my HeadStart LX-40, and that's an 8088 at 10MHz with 640K memory (and a 40M harddisk). So WP 5.1 should work on your 5160, I'd change that line. Actually, my CONFIG.SYS always had "FILES=40 and BUFFERS=14,0" in it. WP worked OK with that (and I used it A LOT) ;-)

modem7
February 5th, 2015, 10:08 PM
I can't find on line the system requirements for wp51.
See [here (http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/software/WordPerfect/WordPerfect%205.1%20-%20requirements.jpg)].

g4ugm
February 6th, 2015, 12:30 AM
I have an 5160 IBM PC with 640k mem. (256k on board, 384k ext.card)
Have a HD with WP51 installed, but
that WP51 keeps hanging.
It starts but at moments It hangs and PC have to restart.

Maurice

From memories of WP51 sounds like its working just like the original.....

... but other people seem to disagree. I seem to think that there were some patches but I can't find them any where on the web. There are active WP forums though...

http://www.wpuniverse.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?49-DOS-WordPerfect

also much oinfo here:-

http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/index.html

krebizfan
February 6th, 2015, 08:04 AM
Any other drivers being loaded in either CONFIG.SYS or AUTOEXEC.BAT?

I think WordPerfect 5.1 stored printer drivers and other support files in a \WPC directory so you might try adding that to the path.

MauriceH
February 6th, 2015, 12:02 PM
Thanks modem7 for the system specs.

remind I have the 64-256k XT-PC board.with 384k on ext Quadram MEM card with 2x64k and 1x256k banks
-HERCULES Card(with LPT port) -attached to the IBM 5151 monitor
-HERCULES CGA card (with LPT port) (I read that some programs select that card and can run together with the MONO, I also
pulled that card bit no effect on the hang problem)
-QUADRAM memory card (384k)
-MFM IBM LONG HD card
-FFD floppy card
-Serial port card

I had first just reinstalled over the Wp51 Dir.
Than I totaly deletted the WP51 DIR and did a complete new install from the 12 360K original wp51 FFD's.
A Register nr was now asked....damm. got looking and found a 5.0 set with a serieal nr written on the, and that worked luckely also on the wp51 set...
Intalled completely , also with some printers.

Again still some hanging.
-can start wp
-Can Type in a tekst line and safe it to disk.
-Can list with F5
- can change the settings WP51
-but at moments the pc hangs completely , that is even the keybord stuck.
at changing a printer, at opening a document written in wp51
Only a power down will than work.
Also got at one time a "Devide overflow" message

Have now at boot on the 655360 bytes, 573168 largest executable program size
just befor starting wp.

Some Other programs work perfectly.

As I had totaly backup the compete HD files of this XT 5160 to an old 486 Pc that runs WIN95.
Started that PC in DOS mode.
And started up that old WP51 Directory.
That runs just fine with no problems on that 486 pc.

So something on that XT is conflicting with wp51.

DOS 5.0 running.

AUTOEXEC.BAT runs
Path= C:\WP51; C:\DOS;....etc..
SET TEMP=c:\DOS\TEMP
C:\DOS\MOUSE.COM
PROMPT $P$G
DATE
TIME
SHELL (a menu program that I shut down befor starting wp)

CONFIG.SYS
Buffers=30
Files=50
device=c:\dos\driver.sys /d:3 /f:0 (extern FFD IBM 360k FFD driver)

modem7
February 6th, 2015, 02:56 PM
I pulled out my early IBM 5160. 256 KB RAM on motherboard plus 384 KB of RAM on a SixPackPlus card.

PC DOS 3.3

On the hard drive, I:
1. Deleted CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT, then rebooted.
2. Made a C:\WP51 directory
3. Into C:\WP51, copied in the WordPerfect 5.1 files of WP.EXE and WP.FIL

I changed to the C:\WP51 directory then executed WP.EXE

WordPerfect complained about a lack of FILES in CONFIG.SYS
I then created a CONFIG.SYS containing one line of: FILES=40
Rebooted.

I changed to the C:\WP51 directory then executed WP.EXE
WordPerfect asked for a licence number, which I entered. (That created a .LCN file and a .SET file.)
I was then taken to the main WordPerfect screen.

I created. modified, deleted files. I changed screen colours many times. With a lot of WordPerfect's support files missing (e.g. spelling), I was limited in what I could do. But in about half an hour of playing, never did I suffer from a freeze nor (non-WordPerfect) error message.

How about you try no AUTOEXEXEC and a CONFIG.SYS that only has FILES=40 in it, i.e. trying to eliminate their contents as the source of the problem.

Next, I would suspect your hardware. Yes, other programs may be successfully running, but they may not be using as much RAM as WordPerfect. I think a good hardware check would be running the RAM test in CheckIt for say, half an hour.

MauriceH
February 7th, 2015, 01:30 AM
Modem7
Thanks for your great effert to even get your own 5160 out of stock!

Did exect the same.
I like that sucure step by step info so I can realy do the same.
For moment it works but then..hang..
At a 2nd file load (1st try was ok) the system hangs with keybord stuck and have to power down.

Ok I go recheck the system and I think to replace the Hercules mono card also.
First checkit is running now.
I'll be back

MauriceH
February 9th, 2015, 01:46 PM
I don't get it to work proparly.
Even pull-out all cards, put in an other mono card, other harddrive with its MFM card, other FFD-card.
That Harddrive had only DOS 3.30 installed, no further progams.
Put in other Mem bank 4 (I had issues with that befor and replaced that bank with other set.)

Started with a clean WP51 Install from my brand new WP51 flop set that I broken the seal of that packadge of Flops.
Off course made a diskcopy of those as a work-set and storred the originals again.
At first only the program WP51 installed as sugested, that seemed to work, copying, writing, saving, but at moments
it hang by saving to fi other name with F10, Test1 written and save to test2.
But a printer setup with SHIFT-F7 and try to select a printer with option S it got stuck also.

Installed WP 5.0 and that keeps running as it should.
Had that wp50 as backup set that has been backed-up somewhere in the 80's from a harddisk install.
So not a real WP50 Installation set but pure a simpel back-up.

I think that QUADRAM 384k is somehow a problem?
Run CHECKIT on extention memory check and a 5 times run, did not find a MEM problem.

Quadram corp.
24230227 REV 1C
01-8982-1
SW1 org setting: 1-8 => 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1

ERROR: insuficient Memory it say's on screen in Dutch.

Had that wp50 as backup set that has been backed-up somewhere in the 80's from a harddisk install.

modem7
February 9th, 2015, 09:59 PM
[Here (http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/software/WordPerfect/wp51_24671923523202.zip)] are the WP.EXE and WP.FIL files for Wordperfect 5.1 that I used above in post #7
I wonder if they work on your computer.

MauriceH
February 13th, 2015, 02:22 PM
The wp51 files of Modem7 runs good for some time.

But I discoverd the problem ->Quadram card it is.
Typical al mem tests runs Perfectly also the extended test of Checkit and the IBM Advanced Diagnostic Flop.

How I discoverd the problem.
At moments when typing or saving the system hangs.
Got a masage from WP51 for missing the file WP{WP}NL.HYC, so copied into WP51 Dir.
Than with the same file opend that had some long tekst did a PgDn and ther the PC hanged again.

So did visit a friend of mine that has an IBM 5150 with also a 64-256k M-Board and a 384K ext.MEM card.
Said to him take a beer , in the mean time I screw out his Mem-card. :)
A Everex EV138 Rev C00. With 384k in also 2 banks of 64k and 1 bank 256k.
Went home and put it in my 5160.
WP51 at the same file and afther that PgDn it asked now to place a couple sign "-" at a point in the tekst.
And I went on Saving with F10, Replacing file names, changing and selecting printers.
AL perfectly working.

Ok Back my Quadram 384k card and there at moments the PC Hang again and again.

So something wrong with that Quadram extrenal MEMORY card.
Maybe a setting but this card was already set in the 5160 when I got the machine.
The guy that owned it was not the type to know a lot of computers, He was just an end user.

Sadly no paperwork with this 5160 and so no configuration info for this Quadram card.
Only switch 3 is OFF, Rest is ON.
Quadram, W-10394V-0, 24230227, REV 1C, 01-8982-1 , copyright 1985, FCC ID: DJ968D-MAXPQ8982
Are all the markings I can find on that card.

And the EVEREX EV138

fatwizard
February 16th, 2015, 12:48 PM
It sounds like the Quadboard is a Quadram 384. That model has one set of switches. Switch 3 can be turned on to enable ram parity check, which is the usual configuration. With the full 384 K installed, switches 6 and 7 should also be off according to the documentation I have.

modem7
February 17th, 2015, 01:18 AM
It sounds like the Quadboard is a Quadram 384. That model has one set of switches. Switch 3 can be turned on to enable ram parity check, which is the usual configuration. With the full 384 K installed, switches 6 and 7 should also be off according to the documentation I have.
If you scan that manual, I will add it to the manuals at http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manuals.htm
You will get credit as the source.
600 DPI preferred.

MauriceH
February 17th, 2015, 09:59 AM
SW settings seems OK.
A bit of change and the count is wrong or not at all and just 256k of the Mboard.

@ fatwizard
-The scan of the doc should be great.
Can you look at the manual for the placement of the two 64k banks and 256K bank.
Now at top row the 64k bank
Middle 64k
Bottum the 256k bank.
Is that correct?

I replaced the 2 banks of 64k, no luck.
The 9 256k Ic's I have to look for.
ALso maybe somthing wrong with a Delay line of 125nS
Have in the past once issue with such a device.
A Valor DL2333 - 5 tap delay line of 25ns steps/Tap makes 125ns total..

Maurice

fatwizard
February 17th, 2015, 01:38 PM
Sadly, on looking closely at the previous posts I realize the OP's card is not the same as mine. The multifunction Quadram board I have is often referred to as a Quadram 384. The switches won't be the same, and the ram bank arrangement is different.

Sorry, my mistake.

I don't know if this is help or hindrance, but the card in question is laid out like this one.

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/memory-cards/DIAMOND-FLOWER-INC-Memory-card-PBME-576-RAM-CARD.html#.VOPEKcmUW70

Could have been the same manufacturer. I don't suppose there would be any harm in trying out the settings.

modem7
February 17th, 2015, 10:12 PM
Sadly, on looking closely at the previous posts I realize the OP's card is not the same as mine. The multifunction Quadram board I have is often referred to as a Quadram 384. The switches won't be the same, and the ram bank arrangement is different.
Still, a scan of the manual may be helpful for others down the track.

fatwizard
February 18th, 2015, 12:49 PM
I unfortunately do not have the owners manual for my Quadram card. I have just pieced together information about it from various sources like the th99 archive and some PDFs I had found of the instructions for the software that came with the card. I am happy to share those of course.