PDA

View Full Version : Mint Condition TI 99/4A Valuation, Sale Options?

Jimbob
February 6th, 2015, 02:18 PM
Hi all,

A friend asked me to sell his TI 99/4A computer and accessories. The box is in poor condition, but when I opened it up I discovered that the computer has never been used, with original factory packaging intact. In addition to standard parts there is a speech synthesizer, a wire remote controller, and six applications (Car Wars, Home Financial Decisions, Terminal Emulator II, Personal Record Keeping, Tombstone City: 21st Century, TI Invaders). Pictures below

None of this has been tested. Is there a way I can tell that it works without plugging it into a monitor? I think this stuff is neat, but I don't know what a good sales valuation would be. I have looked at some completed listings on eBay and have seen between $30 and $100. What could I expect for an unused, untested TI 99/4A. Also, does it make a difference that this computer is light beige and all the others I have seen are metallic with black trim?

Finally, what would be the best way to sell? As a package or separately? To a dealer or in an eBay auction?

Any comments are greatly appreciated!

-Jimbob

SomeGuy
February 6th, 2015, 03:50 PM
Welcome to the forums. That is a nice looking system. But the issue with the later beige units is that most have a crippled ROM that prevented some unlicensed games from running. The doorstops... I mean consoles :) are fairly common.

The only way to test it is to plug it in to a TV with the RF modulator or, if you have one, a composite cable. But if that is a sealed wrapping, you might consider just leaving it so a buyer can have the pleasure of opening it. Unopened, it probably works fine.

Now, that is a nice selection of modules, and the speech synthesizer should be desirable. The lot as you have it pictured looks good. You could probably go either way with keeping them together or seperate depending on how much hassle you think shipping is. But selling it as a lot ensures you won't get stuck with Home Finance or something left over.

Folks regularly sell and trade stuff on this forum, so if you know what you want for it, you might get some offers. But since you are a new member, you probably don't have the ability to send/receive PMs yet. eBay always gets the most exposure. Something like this you probably wouldn't get a pile of bids on, but a "buy it now" would likely work fine.

NF6X
February 6th, 2015, 09:54 PM
But the issue with the later beige units is that most have a crippled ROM that prevented some unlicensed games from running.

Hmm, I didn't know about that. I've just bought my first TI-99/4A very recently, and it's a beige one, so I'd like to learn more about any differences besides the cosmetic ones.

vwestlife
February 6th, 2015, 10:17 PM
Hmm, I didn't know about that. I've just bought my first TI-99/4A very recently, and it's a beige one, so I'd like to learn more about any differences besides the cosmetic ones.

The change didn't happen until the last few months of TI-99/4A production; before then, many beige 4As were built using the same ROM as the original 4A:

http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/computers/ti99qi.html

NF6X
February 6th, 2015, 10:46 PM
Thanks! I'll find out what version I have when I unbox it.

SomeGuy
February 7th, 2015, 04:41 AM
Say, I have heard that one could - with some desoldering - replace the roms and groms of that model with one from an earlier board to restore the functionality. Is that correct?

Ksarul
February 15th, 2015, 05:10 PM
Tho ROMs and GROMs are socketed on most boards, so it is a simple matter to switch them out--and any /4A ROM/GROM set will work with any version of the board. The ones that are "crippled" to prevent third-party cartridges from running are the ones that give you a OS Version 2.2 on the title screen. Note that the version of the ROMs/GROMs used in the Control Data consoles also has this "feature" and they won't run third-party cartridges either. The CD ROM/GROM set just has a Control Data title screen--it is otherwise identical to the V2.2 set. There is also an Argentine GROM set (the ROMs are the same as the US type) that puts up a title screen in Spanish, but it is based on the earleir ROM/GRM set, so it will run the third-party stuff.