PDA

View Full Version : VG Vector 1++ floppy drive power connector

snuci
February 6th, 2015, 03:04 PM
I am about to restore a Vector Graphic 1++ that can hold two internal floppy drives that I do not have. They are supposed to be Shugart SA400 compatible (as the manual states) and I believe the controller calls for the floppy drives to use 16 sector hard sector floppies. The power connectors for the floppy drives, however, are not what I am familiar with. The manual also talks about a "mini-floppy power supply P.C. board". Would I be correct in thinking I can't just replace the connectors with a normal floppy power connector and run it?

Here's a pic of the connector I am speaking of:

Any help is much appreciated.

Chuck(G)
February 6th, 2015, 04:08 PM
I think those were for Micropolis drives, which have a pinout close to, but not exactly matching an SA400.

Here's the service manual for the 1015/1016 (http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/micropolis/102001A_Micropolis_1015_1016_Maintenance_Manual_De c79.pdf)

Note that the early units are 100 tpi 77 cylinder units, not 48 or 96. Micropolis did make 48 and 96 tpi drives later.

deramp5113
February 7th, 2015, 05:17 AM
Yes, those are the Micropolis drive power connectors. The dives are single sided and were used with 16 hard sectored floppies. You'll find "Mod-I" or "Mod-II" within the model number on the drive. Mod-I is 35 tracks at 48tpi, and Mod-II is 77 tracks at 100tpi.

The mini power supply board provides regulated 5v and 12v for the drive from the computer's main supply. I assume that regulator board is on the other end of that power harness you pictured, or are there just bare wires at the other end?

The key to your next step is what type of floppy controller is in the system. Sounds like it may be the Micropolis FDC (or the Vector branded version of the Micropolis FDC). Post a picture of the FDC when you can.

Mike

snuci
February 7th, 2015, 06:26 AM
Thanks guys. I hadn't taken the cards out yet because I was going to order floppy drives, if needed, and then clean it up but that was a Doh! moment :) The controller would tell me more. I thought I'd look at the manual first but it says Shugart SA400 drives. I'm pretty sure it's the right manual along with a few other goodies including Micropolis documentation :)

That said, you guys are right. They floppy controller is Micropolis.

I do have a couple of Micropolis dual drive enclosures with drives so I'll see what they are. The connection for the floppy power cables goes to the big cap and some voltage regulators so this looks okay:

Oddly enough, this came with an IMSAI CPU board installed.

The manual says it should be a Z-80 board but I don't think I have that. I do have an loose IMS Z-80 board though. Interesting machine so far. It does have a lot of cards in it but I'll explore those further a little later. Sadly, the fan got broken in transit so I need to find a replacement.

I should look in the manual in case the previous owner included the Vector Micropolis documentation.

deramp5113
February 7th, 2015, 01:08 PM
Looks like the controller is strapped at the standard address of 0xF800. It has the jumper in place near the top left corner of the board that tells disk driver software that the CPU is running at 4mhz. This jumper is used by software so timing loops are correct for 4mhz vs 2mhz processors. I'm curious - look closely at your 8085 CPU board, can you determine its clock speed?

The FDC does not have a very common mod (and later, a standard mod) that turns the drive motor off after a few seconds of inactivity. Instead, the drives will behave more like AC powered 8" drives in which the hub motor turns all the time and the head loads and unloads.

MDOS and Lifeboat CP/M 2.2 for Micropolis will work on 8080/85 machines. Vector Graphic CP/M 2.2, however, has Z80 specific instructions in the BIOS. I can help you get you up and running with MDOS and CP/M on this machine whenever you're ready.

Mike

snuci
February 8th, 2015, 12:48 PM
Thanks Mike. I spent a little time cataloging what's in this system. The IMSAI MPU card is an 8080. I also have a PROM card that has MDOS on it.

Take a look at the following link for some pics of what's in this Vector 1++ (and my clean out handiwork :) ) http://vintagecomputer.ca/?post_type=computers&p=143

I appreciate the help. Now I have to see what Micropolis drives I have.

snuci
February 8th, 2015, 05:46 PM
In the documentation I have is a document about the VG Monitor that's on the PROM/RAM card. At least I know that it is the "CV" version which is set up for "Bitstreamer Serial in" and "VDM-1 out". I have a couple of I/O cards and now I know what to hook up. I also know the command to jump to the "Extension PROM" which I assume is the MDOS PROM with monitor command "E", I think.

Still haven't powered it up yet but I'd like to read about the cards first and make sure they are configured properly.

deramp5113
February 9th, 2015, 09:37 AM
Looks like the 2nd PROM is actually an MZOS PROM, not MDOS. MZOS was a VG product that they eventually abandoned for the more powerful MDOS (Micropolis DOS) and then CP/M. The MZOS PROM contains the disk I/O routines for MZOS and resides at C400-C7FF.

Mike

snuci
February 9th, 2015, 03:24 PM
Thanks Mike. I though that was a typo but I found the MZOS user guide along with MDOS and CP/M manuals. Here's a letter in my Vector manual. Funny how everything sounds revolutionary and then disappears :)

On a related note, I did find an almost identical replacement fan on eBay http://www.ebay.ca/itm/131401338710. Same make and model number; the Rotron Whisper model WR2A1 but the fan hub wasn't green :(. I didn't realize these were 120 volt fans. Once I get this, I'll install and try to power it up.

I have a 9" Sanyo monitor so I'm probably okat there but I'm not sure what I would use as a keyboard. Do you think my "homebrew keyboard" here would work? http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?46203-8080-single-board-computer My only other parallel keyboard is an IMSAI KBD-1 and I'd like to leave that one alone.

On another related note, I found the Vector Graphic mailing list and am now subscribed. I've started to read through the archives. Haven't read about anyone having a Vector 1 yet.

deramp5113
February 9th, 2015, 04:50 PM
Most VG activity on the list seems to be about the MZ era as opposed to the earlier machines. I have a Vector MZ and a Vector 3. I have a number of Micropolis drives and a few Tandon drives. In fact, I have my Sol-20 running Lifeboat CP/M on two Micropolis Mod-II drives.

I've seen MZOS, but never paid much attention to it until your posts. I find the Northstar DOS to MZOS upgrade path very interesting. I've recently bought a Northstar FDC and some SA-400 drives. My plan is to get Northstar DOS and CP/M running on the Sol-20 with a Northstar controller (a very common configuration) someday soon. Once that is working, it now seems a very logical progression will be to get MZOS running on my MZ. I may need to get a copy of that PROM!

Mike

snuci
February 10th, 2015, 08:50 AM
My PROMs are your PROMs. I just don't have a programmer that can read 2708 PROMs and I don't really want to jury-rig a power supply and twist some pins to read it. Do you have a programmer that will read 2708s?

deramp5113
February 10th, 2015, 12:22 PM
I can read the PROM here, but it may be simpler to write a short program that dumps the PROM out through the serial port. Even on a bare-bones machine, this simple of a program could be typed in with the "P" command of the VG ROM monitor.

Mike

snuci
February 22nd, 2015, 02:34 PM
Update on my progress:

I finally received my replacement fan and installed it. I fired up the CPU board, PROM/RAM board and Video board and got a rolling * prompt after reseating some chips. It acted like the <center> key was stuck but I had no keyboard attached. I had to install my Bitstreamer board (not connected to anything) to get a * prompt with a single blinking cursor. At this point, I am looking over the Bitstreamer documentation to figure out how the wires/connectors are configured.

I don't have any memory boards or the floppy controller board installed yet but I think it's progress if I should be seeing a * prompt.

snuci
February 24th, 2015, 05:20 PM
I've hooked up a PC with TeraTerm to be able to use a keyboard via serial port through the VG Bitstreamer card. I can type and see the output on the video display connected to the Solid State Music VB1B. I can enter commands through the VG 2.0 monitor (the * prompt) but I can't get MZOS to come up. I think I am supposed to be doing this through the "B" command (Jump to Bootstrap loader) or "E" Jump to Extension PROM at C400 but I see a pattern of characters on screen. I can dump C400 and there is data there until C7FF so it looks like the MZOS PROM is there.

Screen shot of pattern here:

Any help is appreciated. I will reach out the the VG group if there is anyone there with a VG Vector 1.

deramp5113
February 24th, 2015, 06:11 PM
Yes, MZOS is booted with the E command to jump to the MZOS ROM at C400. Do you have an MZOS disk in drive 0 and does the drive come to life when you execute the E command?

snuci
February 25th, 2015, 03:29 AM
Two issues with your question.
1. I don't have a MZOS disk
2. I didn't connect the drives yet.

I figured that with the floppy controller in, it would jump to C400, pull any ROM required information from the floppy interface and allow me to see a prompt. I guess not. I can hook up the drives (I have an external dual unit for now) but I don't have VG specific disks. I do have a Poly 8813 that uses the same type 16 sector disks, if I recall correctly, so I can put a disk in, at the very least, but I don't have any Vector 1++ software at all on floppy.

I'll do my best to hook up the external Micropolis dual drive tonight and see if it makes a difference.

deramp5113
February 25th, 2015, 11:07 AM
Without a MZOS disk, you won't get much further, but at least you can see if it attempts to boot from the drive. I can create an MZOS disk from a disk image if you want, or let's get the MZOS PROM dumped and I can try to get it working here first, if you'd like.

Mike

snuci
February 25th, 2015, 11:28 AM
Hi Mike,

I prefer you try it on your set up because you are familiar with it and have known good memory. My only issue is that when I hook up a PC with Teraterm, I am only able to utilize keyboard; I don't see any output on screen. I can dump C400 - C4FF in hex to my video display but nothing ever shows up on my PC screen. If I could get PC screen output, I could copy/paste the hex code and send it. Am I not seeing output on the PC because of my set Solid State Music video card? I don't think I can make changes to the configuration because my monitor is set for it as is.

Any help is appreciated.

deramp5113
February 25th, 2015, 12:54 PM
In the monitor, use the "P"rogram command at address zero to type in the following program:

21 00 C4 DB 03 0F D2 03
00 7E D3 02 23 7C E6 08
CA 03 00 76

Start a log file in TeraTerm under File->Log. Enter a file name (e.g. MZOS.BIN), check the "Binary" box, uncheck the "Append" box and click "Save." You'll notice a new tile shows up on your taskbar for the log task.

In the monitor, type "G"oto 0000 to dump the ROM out the serial port. It will be done in a split second and halt the machine.

Click on the log task tile on the task bar to restore the dialog box and click the "Close" button (NOT right click and close). That should give us a .bin file (with command garbage at the beginning). Email it to me at (spam reduction): deramp5113 followed by ASCII 0x40 followed by the yahoo domain name.

Reset your machine to get control back.

Mike

snuci
February 25th, 2015, 02:16 PM
You got mail :)

deramp5113
February 25th, 2015, 02:27 PM
Looks like address line A4 is stuck high or stuck low. Since the monitor ROM seems to be working fine, then it's probably not a problem with the system bus or an address buffer on the ROM board (assuming the monitor ROM and the MZOS ROM are on the same board). Most likely, it's a pin/socket problem with the MZOS ROM and socket. Pull the ROM and reinsert it a few times to scrape the pins/sockets a bit. Be careful though - don't want to damage that chip - seems to be pretty rare!

If the duplicate "row" problem goes away when dumping from the monitor, then dump the ROM through the serial port again. Thanks!

Mike

snuci
February 25th, 2015, 03:07 PM
So here's the funny part... I tried to remove the MZOS boot chip and all of the other chips on the PROM/RAM board to reseat them. No luck. Turns out I have another one of these VG PROM/RAM cards and still same thing. I took a look at the chip and...

That can't be good with pin 4 missing :)

Made a quick wedge...

You will have mail shortly.

deramp5113
February 25th, 2015, 04:18 PM
The new dump looks good! At quick glance, it's clear the MZOS ROM requires a Z80 CPU. It also assumes the FDC is at D800. However, looking at the pictures you posted, your system didn't come with a Z80 and the FDC is strapped at F800. I'm thinking the previous owner may have given up on MZOS and moved to Lifeboat CP/M (VG version but 8080 compatible).

Do do you want to proceed with CP/M or get MZOS up and running?

Mike

snuci
February 25th, 2015, 05:21 PM
I have another S-100 computer that came in the lot. It had a strange Z80 card and now that I looked up the VG Z80 card, looks like it's a VG that's unmarked. Probably an early one that came out of the Vector 1++.

Here's a pic:

That computer also has a VG Micropolis controller in it. Is this one strapped for D800? It might be the original for the Vector 1++ as well:

This was where I got the other PROM/RAM card and it also had the same Monitor but not a similar MZOS chip.

I'll look for the VG Micropolis manual and figure out how to see what address it is set up for.

I appreciate the help. I'd like to try to get the Vector 1++ back to stock.

deramp5113
February 25th, 2015, 06:21 PM
Looks like this controller is strapped for F800 and 4mhz as well. Though the 4mhz isn't "hard" - software just looks at it as a flag to adjust disk timing loops for a 2mhz or 4mhz processor. The MZOS ROM may be hard coded for a processor speed for all we know.

A new wrinkle: I don't have access to MZOS disk images after all. They're in the catalog of files in the archive, but the actual disk image files for MZOS don't exist. I'm trying to get a disk from someone who may have some MZOS disks so I can archive them. I want to get MZOS up and running as well.

I see a CP/M binder in one of your photos. Maybe we should get you started with CP/M first.

Let me know how you'd like to proceed.

Mike

snuci
February 26th, 2015, 03:25 AM
I looked at the VG Micropolis Controller manual and I see the table with the jumpers but I don't see where they are on the actual board. Can you point them out?

Logically for me, the next step is to try to get some floppy drives in place. I can't do much without the drives. Yesterday I opened up one of my dual Micropolis drives to see if the individual drives could be removed. The drives are not individually self-contained with their own PCBs but rather, a single internal controller board is used for both drives. I don't think I can use the internals of this dual drive because there's way too many connectors and I don't see specific connectors like in my first post. I'll have to figure out something there.

I did find two floppy disks in the drive and this came from the same lot so I'd like to try to get the controller set up for MZOS and see if one of the two floppies works. One is trashed but the other may be usable.

In terms of the CP/M manuals, they are for 8" disks (which I also have) but I'm not sure where this fits into the picture. I think they are for an Exidy Sorcerer (some labels indicate this on 8" floppies that I have) but I don't have an S-100 expansion unit nor an 8" controller card for it. I do have one card as noted here: http://vintagecomputer.ca/the-exidy-sorcerer-mystery/ but it's unpolulated. That's a whole other matter.

deramp5113
February 26th, 2015, 07:10 AM
Here is the jumper location on the board, and then location of jumpers within the detail area:

The dual drive cabinet with a single internal disk PCB will work as-is with your Micropolis controller if you want to do some tests, but I imagine you'd rather fill the hole in the front of the Vector 1 with a couple of drives at some point.

We can get CP/M working on the 5.25" dual Micropolis drive with your Vector 1. The most likely hurdle will be mechanical disk drive problems. These drives typically need some cleaning and lube to get the door latch working, the worm gear cleaned and working, etc. Remove the drive belts and rotate the hub flywheels by hand. Do they spin freely or do you feel "detents" as you rotate the flywheel? I've had several of these drives with bad hub bearings.

I can attempt to read and archive the good floppy disk if you want.

Mike

deramp5113
March 15th, 2015, 01:59 PM
I have imaged an MZOS 1.5 and 1.52 disk, but unfortunately, it appears that these versions of MZOS expect a newer version of the MZOS ROM than the one snucci has provided for us.

Snuci - please see if you can find an MZOS version number in the documents you have, or at least a date from the manual from which you posted a pic of the "new" MZOS operating system.

Anyone else have an MZOS ROM and/or versions of MZOS on disk prior to 1.5?

Mike

snuci
March 15th, 2015, 05:24 PM
Hi Mike,

It's version 1.4 of the manual. I've scanned it and uploaded it here if you'd like to have a look: http://vintagecomputer.ca/download/vector-graphic-moz-1-4-manual/

As an update, I added the jumper to my Micropolis floppy controller card but it turns out my Z80 card doesn't work. It was wired in to the reset switch of the TEI computer chassis so that might need to be reversed to work. I don't have another Z80 card so I'll try again with the 8080 card just to try to get some activity out of a floppy drive. I have one floppy that came in the drive but I doubt very much that it's an MZOS boot disk. I'll look further into my Z80 card to see if I can get it to work shortly.

deramp5113
March 16th, 2015, 08:22 AM
This is great - thanks! I'll get the manual posted on the Vector Graphic archive and my website soon. Looks like information in the manual agrees with what I've found about the differences between MZOS ROMs and MZOS disk versions.

I was able to make a few simple patches to MZOS 1.5 and 1.52 last night to make them function with your MZOS 1.4 ROM. So even if we can't find an MZOS 1.5 ROM, or an MZOS 1.4 disk, we do have a working combination! Presently I have this running on a version of the Simh emulator I updated to support MZOS disks. I'll configure my MZ to run this for real soon.

In regard to your system, let's get it running Lifeboat CP/M 2.2 on your 8080 card. As a quick test to see some activity on the drive, restore your Micropolis FDC to the F800h base address. Turn on the computer and type "G F800" to call the boot ROM on the FDC. You should see the drive select light turn on and hear the head load. If you have disks we can use, I can get you up and running CP/M in less than 10 minutes without having to send you a disk (assuming the drive and FDC still work, of course!)

Mike

snuci
March 16th, 2015, 08:58 AM
I'll give it a shot tonight. Thanks and glad the document helped. Where is the archive? I can look through what I have and see if anything is is needed that I may have.

snuci
March 16th, 2015, 02:01 PM
Ok, I tried it with the IMSAI 8080 board and removed the jumper on the Micropolis board so it was like it was originally and nothing. I did find my video was flaky so knowing the 8080 board was good, I wiggled everything and it worked.

I then removed the jumper, tried with the VG Z80 board ans it is good but when I hit "e", it would say retrying and cycle through. I hit the reset and I did catch it saying "disk offline".

I have two of three working Micropolis drives (as far as working). They don't make a sound until I put disk in and it spins and spins until i take the disk out (as you mentioned previously). My units both light up with "2" on top and "3" on the bottom. Should there be a "0" and "1"?

I am off to find the Micropolis drive manual...

deramp5113
March 16th, 2015, 04:26 PM
I'm not quite sure if I follow your sequence of tests, but when you have the FDC strapped at F800, try a disk boot by using the GO TO ("G") command with an argument of F800 (I.e., not the "E" command). The boot drive is drive 0, so yes, it sounds like you may need to adjust some jumpers in your drive cabinet.

If nothing happens, run a checksum on the FDC ROMs by typing "Q F800 F8FF." The result should be BC.

When running a Z80, you can try booting with the MZOS boot ROM by strapping the FDC at D800 and using the "E" command with no arguments, or the "G" command with an argument of C400.

Mike

snuci
March 16th, 2015, 05:01 PM
I'm not quite sure if I follow your sequence of tests, but when you have the FDC strapped at F800, try a disk boot by using the GO TO ("G") command with an argument of F800 (I.e., not the "E" command). The boot drive is drive 0, so yes, it sounds like you may need to adjust some jumpers in your drive cabinet.

I had a bad power supply in one unit which is a 1053 Mod II so I took out the main board and put it into one of my other 1035-II units (numbers not transposed). I hooked up the wires similarly (the boards are different) and powered it up. It is now Drive 0 and Drive 1. First off, when I put a disk in, the spindle motor goes but the little felt backer for the head doesn't come down. Nor does the head move.

When I do a "G F800" the cursor doesn't go to the next line but freezes.

If nothing happens, run a checksum on the FDC ROMs by typing "Q F800 F8FF." The result should be BC.

I did a checksum on F800 and it returns "BC".

When running a Z80, you can try booting with the MZOS boot ROM by strapping the FDC at D800 and using the "E" command with no arguments, or the "G" command with an argument of C400.

I did the "G" but it says 'Retrying" and cycles through in a loop. I hit the reset button and I did catch it saying "Disk Offline".

I don't know these drives so it's kinda difficult to know what is supposed to happen. I will read the manual that I found for the newer 1053 Mod II drive and see what I can do. If I have to, I'll take out the 1053 Mod II drives and put them in the other chassis to see if that makes a difference.

I'm pretty sure I have two bad disks but it should, at least try to read. I don't see that happening at this point but I am getting closer.

Thank you for the help.

deramp5113
March 16th, 2015, 06:31 PM
When you close the door with a disk inserted, does the drive spin for a few seconds, or does it keep spinning?

deramp5113
March 16th, 2015, 07:06 PM
Do any of your manuals have a listing of your Monitor ROM at C000?

Mike

snuci
March 16th, 2015, 07:25 PM
When you close the door with a disk inserted, does the drive spin for a few seconds, or does it keep spinning?

It spins continuously until I eject the disk. I thought you mentioned that you noticed it was set this way before?

snuci
March 16th, 2015, 07:27 PM
Do any of your manuals have a listing of your Monitor ROM at C000?

Mike

I'll have to look. I think I might have that but definitely not the MZOS code that I was looking for. I'll take a look tomorrow.

snuci
March 17th, 2015, 02:49 AM
I'll have to look. I think I might have that but definitely not the MZOS code that I was looking for. I'll take a look tomorrow.

This morning I grabbed a Micropolis binder that had some code in it an took it to work. Turns out it's the same as http://www.textfiles.com/bitsavers/pdf/micropolis/metafloppy/1084-01_1040_1050_Users_Manual_Apr79.pdf. It has some code in it but it doesn't specifically say Monitor 2.0. I'll keep looking.

Looking at that Metafloppy directory, I think I have all of those manuals. I brought mine to work to scan it but since it's already up, there's no need.

Hope this helps.

deramp5113
March 17th, 2015, 06:26 AM
It spins continuously until I eject the disk. I thought you mentioned that you noticed it was set this way before?

Yes, that sounds correct. This means the motor-on line from the controller is getting to your drives. Minor success, but at least we know pin 16 is making it from one end to the other and that the drive electronics see that signal.

Drive select for drive 0 is on connector pin 10. When this asserts, the light on the front of the drive should come on and you should hear the head load (if a floppy is inserted). Check this signal before you boot and verify it's high, then verify the signal goes to ground when you issue the GOTO command to boot. Verify this at the controller end and at the drive end.

Mike

deramp5113
March 17th, 2015, 06:28 AM
The Monitor listing will be in a Vector Graphic manual (i.e., not Micropolis). If the listing is present, it will be in the same manual that details all the Monitor commands.

Mike

snuci
March 17th, 2015, 07:37 AM
Drive select for drive 0 is on connector pin 10. When this asserts, the light on the front of the drive should come on and you should hear the head load (if a floppy is inserted). Check this signal before you boot and verify it's high, then verify the signal goes to ground when you issue the GOTO command to boot. Verify this at the controller end and at the drive end.

Thanks Mike. I will try that. To be a little more clear (I hope):

- When I turn on the drive, there is no sound and nothing moves
- the drives have a number digitally displayed as "0" for the top drive and "1" for the bottom
- when I put in a disk in drive 0, the "0" digit disappears and then comes back. There is also an extra dot to the right of the 0.
- The drive spins and keeps doing so
- the top felt pad does not clamp down so the little flap that controls it doesn't move
- the head also does not move
- when I "G F800", nothing happens but the drive keeps spinning.
- On screen I see see "G F800 " (a space like it's waiting for another command line parameter) and then it's frozen there.
- I have to hit reset to get the cursor back.

I will try putting two disks in and trying. Maybe I flipped a couple of wires when I attached them to the new board but I marked them very well. The 1035-II and 1053-II are definitely different but the connectors are the same.

Here's a couple of pics:

Micropolis 1035-II (beige case)

Micropolis 1053-II (blue case)

snuci
March 17th, 2015, 07:38 AM
The Monitor listing will be in a Vector Graphic manual (i.e., not Micropolis). If the listing is present, it will be in the same manual that details all the Monitor commands.

Yes, that makes sense :) I will have a look later today.

deramp5113
March 17th, 2015, 10:33 AM
Looking at your pictures, the 1035-II does not have the terminator pack installed. The 1053-II looks like discrete terminating resistors are permanently installed. I'd work with the 1053-II for now unless you have a terminator pack available.

The slide switch swaps drives 0 and 1. The failure to select a drive could be because the contacts on the switch are oxidized and the drive select signal is not getting through (wouldn't be unusual). You might want to spray in some contact cleaner and flip the switch back and forth a whole bunch of times.

Mike

deramp5113
March 17th, 2015, 11:07 AM
With a few minor patches, I have MZOS 1.52 working well with your MZOS 1.4 ROM. However, it looks like several application programs assume the older version of the VG monitor will be used (e.g., your 2.0 monitor) and make calls directly to routines in the ROM. These aren't defined entry points or a vector table, they just assume a particular monitor ROM.

So... I'd like to get a dump of your monitor ROM. I'll patch a copy to work with Bitstreamer serial in and out. This will allow proper operation with the Simh emulator, for example.

When you have the time, could you dump the monitor ROM for me?

In the monitor, use the "P"rogram command at address zero to type in the following program (this is slightly different than for the MZOS ROM):

21 00 C0 DB 03 0F D2 03
00 7E D3 02 23 7C E6 04
CA 03 00 76

Start a log file in TeraTerm under File->Log. Enter a file name (e.g. MON2.BIN), check the "Binary" box, uncheck the "Append" box and click "Save." You'll notice a new tile shows up on your taskbar for the log task.

In the monitor, type "G"oto 0000 to dump the ROM out the serial port. It will be done in a split second and halt the machine.

Click on the log task tile on the task bar to restore the dialog box and click the "Close" button (NOT right click and close). That should give us a .bin file. Email it to me at (spam reduction): deramp5113 followed by ASCII 0x40 followed by the yahoo domain name.

Reset your machine to get control back.

Thanks!!

snuci
March 17th, 2015, 01:15 PM
Does this help or do you still need a dump? http://vintagecomputer.ca/download/vector-one-monitor-2-0-source-code/ :)

deramp5113
March 17th, 2015, 01:32 PM
The source listing AND the binary dump together will make my life almost as easy as having the source in text file format!

When I open the source code file link, it has numerous blank pages that skip sections of code. Does it look that way when you open it?

Mike

snuci
March 17th, 2015, 02:32 PM
Try again to download the PDF. I tried OCR on the PDF. It wasn't pretty :)

Turns out my scanner feeder has issues with single sided paper but works great with double sided. Weird, huh?

EDIT: You got mail.

deramp5113
March 19th, 2015, 07:24 PM
MZOS lives!!

23295 23296

snuci
March 20th, 2015, 10:40 AM
MZOS lives!!

Congratulations Mike! I posted a couple times on the VG list. Sorry for the last message being out of order. The posts are moderated because I am new and it takes a little while for them to be posted so it sounds like I am "talking over you" and disregarding your posts :)

deramp5113
March 20th, 2015, 11:16 AM
Couldn't have done it without your help. Thanks for indirectly starting a new project for me! Hoping someone pops up with a 1.5 MZOS ROM or a 1.4 MZOS disk.

I would also love to see some applications that people ran under MZOS. It may be that running Northstar DOS apps was the most common scenario since it was upward compatible from Northstar DOS. I have a Northstar controller that I'm going to get up and running on my Sol-20 soon. Maybe then I'll find out more about what people ran under Northstar DOS.

Mike

snuci
March 21st, 2015, 07:46 AM
I did get further. One of my to drives works. The other drive motor appears jammed. I have parts so I should be okay.

I can now attempt to boot. When I do an G F800 or even an E with the jumper, it tries and tries and tries... With MZOS I get a CRC error and it retries. I am certain both of my disks are bad but I do have a punch to try to make new ones. All of my other hard sector disks are 10 sector.

If you can let me know how to proceed for tomorrow (got to run out for the day), I will try to make a couple of diskettes and see what I can do.

I just wish those disks worked but that's life. Maybe if I can boot from a new disk I can try to read those.

Thanks for all your help Mike.

deramp5113
March 23rd, 2015, 05:39 PM
Based on the hardware that came in the system, I'm guessing the previous owner was running Lifeboat CP/M 1.4 for Micropolis. Do you want to try and get that up and running?

As far as your drives go, remove the belt and then turn the hub pulley with your hand. Does the pulley spin freely? The hub bearings are often bad in these drives. The bearings can also be difficult to get out. If You work that far on them, let me know, I gave a few hints for you.

Mike

snuci
March 24th, 2015, 04:06 PM
I definitely want to get CP/M going and have done a little reading about the Disk Image Transfer utility for Vector Graphic and found the disk images. My issue now is:

1. I need some 16 sector floppies so I'll have to try to make some (I have a punch).
2. I'm not exactly sure how I transfer the PC2FLOP utilities or the disk images using Teraterm.

I have a couple of other projects on the go but will dig into this soon. If there is a web page that explains this process better or of there is a different method, I'd be very happy to hear about it.

I do need to service my drives but I need disks to test first and images to try to write so if I know how to do this disk image transfer, I think I can get everything going.

Much appreciated.

deramp5113
March 25th, 2015, 07:04 AM
Email me when you're ready, I can send a few disks with CP/M 1.4 for your system already on them if you want.

You'll want to clean the head on your good drive before using the disks.

Mike

snuci
March 25th, 2015, 04:02 PM
@deramp5113 I will absolutely take you up on that offer but I dug into some docs and may have found the source code to an unnumbered VG Monitor. Maybe 1.0?

I'll scan them in and post either tonight or tomorrow.

snuci
March 26th, 2015, 03:33 AM
I've added a couple of files that have Vector One Monitor source code but I don't know what version as they are unmarked. Maybe it's 1.0?

I also added a Vector Graphic Product handout that looks like their product "data sheets" at an early stage.

Have a look at http://vintagecomputer.ca/files-area/ for the files.

deramp5113
March 26th, 2015, 01:24 PM
Good stuff - thanks!!

Mike

snuci
May 19th, 2015, 03:22 PM
After all this time, Mike helped me figure this out and I am proud to show this picture:

The MZOS heading has some inverse characters and a pipe symbol at the end of the line but it works!

I do have to fill in the internal drives with an external drive mechanism but it's time to take this off the bench for now. That's a project for a later date.

Thanks again Mike. I really appreciate it.

deramp5113
May 19th, 2015, 04:55 PM
Great to see! Did you try booting CP/M on this machine? (G D800)?

Mike

snuci
May 19th, 2015, 05:22 PM
Great to see! Did you try booting CP/M on this machine? (G D800)?

I did. It boots the disk and I see the opening headings and a solid cursor but I can't type anything. The drive head appears to be engaged but nothing more happens. I was able to run a couple of commands in MZOS so the drive alignment seems to be okay but I wonder if I have enough memory or maybe some bad memory at the moment. This is the first time this computer is booting in countless years so everything is suspect at this point, I guess. Note: W9 has the 4 mhz jumper in with the Z80 card so that should be okay, I think.