PDA

View Full Version : This is fun...MS Word for Windows on a PC/XT

nc_mike
February 7th, 2015, 11:45 AM
I am still astonished I could install run Windows 3.1 at all, and throught, heck, with all that CF disk space and the of 80386sx CPU accelerator wit 5MB, why not try running MS Word for Windows 2.0b? Everything I've read about the Inboard for an XT on forum posts and doc says this isn't possible:

Next up, try to install and run MS Office 4.2 (MS Word 6, PowerPoint, Access, Excel) - the last Office version supported for Win 3.1. Says it requires 4MB RAM - in theory I should have enough extended memory - but we'll see... Word 2.0b loads and runs really fast, so hopefully Version 6.0 of these apps will also.

Regards,
Mike

Caluser2000
February 7th, 2015, 11:49 AM
I am still astonished I could install run Windows 3.1 at all, and throught, heck, with all that CF disk space and the of 80386sx CPU accelerator wit 5MB, why not try running MS Word for Windows 2.0b? Everything I've read about the Inboard for an XT on forum posts and doc says this isn't possible.
I understand your excitement but I think we've got the point- Don't believe everything you read on the internet ;)

An important thing to remember is Win 3.1 is still reliant on having a lot of free conventional memory. If you choke that it doesn't mater how much xms is available Win3.x can hickup. Also in some instances running it in Standard Mode it can be quicker more stable.

Have you given any PC Geos variants a try yet? They should fly on your 386 box, which is really what it is now.

Also it'd be interesting to see if the QNX demo disk runs http://toastytech.com/guis/qnxdemo.html as well a Basic Linux http://distro.ibiblio.org/baslinux/ and OS/2 They'll really put the hardware though it's paces.

Hey Mike where are you located? Might be someone on vcf local to you.

modem7
February 7th, 2015, 01:21 PM
Hey Mike where are you located?
Better still; put it into one's profile: 'My Profile' / 'About Me' / Location.
Even just a country is better than nothing.

nc_mike
February 7th, 2015, 02:20 PM
I'm located in the Research Triangle Park (Raleigh) North Carolina area.

Yes, I can't wait to try a few different OSes in this box including PC Geos, Linux and OS/2. I was a pretty hard-core OS/2 user for many years. I don't think it will habdle my Blue Spine Warp 4, but might handle OS/2 2.0.

Regards,
Mike

chjmartin2
February 7th, 2015, 04:21 PM

Yes, I can't wait to try a few different OSes in this box including PC Geos, Linux and OS/2. I was a pretty hard-core OS/2 user for many years. I don't think it will habdle my Blue Spine Warp 4, but might handle OS/2 2.0.

Regards,
Mike

Get a make it 486, and then another adapter to make it at least a DX/4 class machine! :)

k2x4b524[
February 7th, 2015, 05:44 PM
One must ask themselves, at what point is the XT in question, not an XT anymore? :D

Caluser2000
February 7th, 2015, 06:18 PM

Regards,
Mike

I've got a bit of an OS/2 collection from 1.3EE through v4 Server. Yeah, wouldn't even think of using Warp 4. v3 might run on it though, allbeit a bit sluggish. Even networking is a possibility with either LanManager, the Connect version or client software from Warp v3 server. I've got v3 with network client on one of my 486s with a old Conner IDE drive. That has 16megs of ram though, also the IDE and video is vlb based.

nc_mike
February 7th, 2015, 06:45 PM
One must ask themselves, at what point is the XT in question, not an XT anymore? :D

Good question, its a fine line I've tried not to cross. For the most part I've decided stick with mostly stock and upgrade parts from the era - parts such as the InBoard and AboveBoard were sold by most major component advertisers in all of the major PC magazines throughout the mid-80's - so even with those the machine remains in the PC/XT camp using the original MOB. The only thing that are not of the era is the XT-IDE/CF; most everything else is of the era other than the flat panel VGA monitor I'm using, and even there I have a IBM 5151 mono display that the VGAWonder has a dual connector for if just to have an original IBM monitor as part of the system. I think I've taken it to the edge, even the IBM Model-M keyboard routinely replaced the 83 key ones in my shop (if you had the late-model XT 4/86 BIOS to support one).

Yes, I could upgrade the CPU to an 80486 pretty easily by swapping in a TX486DLC/E-40GA 40MHz chip, but the heat from it would 1) require some direct cooling for which I'd only do if I had a 5161 to make some room for a CPU cooler and 2) the clock might well foul up a bunch of timing-sensitive software. I've decided to stick with just the stock InBoard for the time being - though it is so very tempting. Here are the parts I've got now in this rig:

Original IBM 5160 PC/XT Case
Original IBM PC/XT 8088 4.77MHz 256-640K Motherboard with 640K of RAM installed on main board (4/86 BIOS) All but 256K disabled (for the Inboard)
Pulled the 8088 CPU for InBOard/386 which plugs into the 8088 socket via a ribbon cable from the InBoard.386
IBM PC/XT 130W stock Power Supply
Bay 1 Top: Internal 1.2MB half-height 5.25 inch floppy drive
Bay 1: Bottom: Internal Teac FD-235HF 3.5" 1.44MB Half-Height Floppy Drive
Bay 2: Top: External-access CF card reader - Boot CF 1GB drive
Bay 2: Bottom: External-access CF card reader - auxillary CF 1GB drive
IBM Model M clicky keyboard 1391401 with 5-pin DIN connector
Expansion Slot 1: Intel Above Board Plus 8 w/8MB RAM
Expansion Slot 2: ATi VGAWonder-16 512K ISA (MDA/CGA/EGA/VGA/SVA) Video Card
Expansion Slot 3: US Robotics 56K internal modem
Expansion Slot 4: High Density Floppy Drive Controller w/BIOS
Expansion Slot 5: Intel InBoard/386 PC with 1MB Onboard plus 4MB Extended Memory Piggyback Daughter Card (5MB total)
Expansion Slot 6: Kouwell Multi 4-Port I/O Expansion (parallel, 2 serial, game ports)
Expansion Slot 7: 3COM Ethernet III 3C509B RJ45 TP
Expansion Slot 8: XT-IDE rev.2 8-bit ISA IBM XT PC AT adapter with 1GB CF System (C:) drive and 1GB CF Slave (D:) Drive
IBM Model M clicky keyboard 1391401 with 5-pin DIN connector
BackPack 1.44 External Parallel Port Floppy
BackPack External Parallel Port CD Drive w/Sound
IOMega Zip100 Parallel Drive
Viewsonic SVA 20" Flat Panel Display (Primary)
IBM 5151 Monochrome Display
DB15 Game Port Switch Cable - 1 or 2 Player
Premium II Joystick Kraft Precision Control
Microsoft Serial Mouse
IBM 4029 Laser Printer w/PPDS Font Cards
Sony self-powered speaker
80mm 30CFM 5w fan

Regards,
Mike

Caluser2000
February 7th, 2015, 08:22 PM
I dought adding the dlc will do much more than add L1 cache which will be helpful. The file required to enable it is in the archive file cyrix100.zip You'll be still stuck with the same clock speed as the original processor, being a 386DX-16 it will be 16Mhz http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SX/SX213.html, unless there are dip switches or jumpers to change it.

nc_mike
February 8th, 2015, 04:58 AM
I dought adding the dlc will do much more than add L1 cache which will be helpful. The file required to enable it is in the archive file cyrix100.zip You'll be still stuck with the same clock speed as the original processor, being a 386DX-16 it will be 16Mhz http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SX/SX213.html, unless there are dip switches or jumpers to change it.

That's good to know. Unless the DLC can be clock doubled it wouldn't be worth it. I read somewhere hat might be possible to accomplish, but I'm not too keen on experimenting the the Intel InBoard as they are so rare and expensive - and easily fried. Plus, my goal was to just get Win 3.1 and a few Win apps running as well as a graphical web browser. Win 3.1 is very fast and snappy as it it, and I can experiment with other OSs until the conventional stops me. Beyond Win 3.1 and higher I have a packed Gateway GP7-500 Tower to effortlessly run everything from DOS and Win 3.1 up to XP without any limitations using multi-boot. It's just been fun to see how far I could push the XT with a few OEM parts of the era.