PDA

View Full Version : EPROM programmer recommendations

lee4hmz
February 11th, 2015, 09:31 AM
I'm getting back into the swing of things here, and I wanted to grab an EPROM programmer so I can get the XT-IDE BIOS going on the 486 (the Phoenix BIOS it came with is 1024/16/63 only and DDOs are annoying). The only programmer I have access to right now is an old Pocket Programmer (parallel port version) from the late 1990s, but I don't think Transtronics supports it anymore and the prices for their USB models are, as a cartoon character once said, "pretendous".

What I'd like to know is:

Can the Pocket Programmer be saved? If I still had the DOS software for it, I could just use that; I have plenty of machines with an actual parallel port handy.
Are any of the Chinese/Taiwanese/etc. models on eBay any good? I've heard the Willem is quite flexible, but hard to work with. The USB ones look a bit chintzy, but if they can read and program 27C128s or 28F128s, then I'll be all right.

lee4hmz
February 11th, 2015, 09:40 AM
UPDATE: I was able to find the DOS software for the Pocket Programmer in an old backup. We'll see how it goes. I'm still interested in opinions on the eBay programmers, though, since they look interesting and I'd like to have one as a backup.

g4ugm
February 11th, 2015, 02:58 PM
I have one like this:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121348123044

It works fine on E-Proms. A bit intermittent on GALs...