PDA

View Full Version : Instructions for ZFDC Board..

Marty
February 11th, 2015, 11:03 AM
Hi All;
I am Wondering If there are instructions for using a ZFDC Floppy Controller Board, Which Andrew and John have done such a Great Job of Designing and putting out there for Everyone..
I am using My Altair with their Z-80 Board, with their Eprom, so the Standard Directory Comes up.. My System has 64K of memory and I do NOT have CPM on/in/with it..
I would like to Try and Read the 8" floppies from My Charles River Universe 68 System, (See under Other, in this forum) they are mostly Double Density, but I made a long time ago a set of them in Single Density..
Since I only have 64K of memory, (possibly if I cannot get this to work, then I could get More Memory from Andrew and John..) and that is Less than the space of the Diskettes, in either Density,
What I am wondering is IF I can Copy one track or even ten Tracks to Memory and then Transfer them to my PC where I can then save them and re-combine the individual files all back into what had been on the Diskette.. Thereby Saving the files from the Floppies to something that I can keep and work with..
OR, Can I do Something like the Linux dd Command and Read the Floppy and Transfer it directly to the PC, where I can Save it.. Of Course I am not sure "How" I would Save it on my PC, but that is a different matter, for now..
And If I can get this to work on these Floppies, I can then get a whole lot more of them from a Friend who wants me to read His Floppies and they are not CPM either.. So, Once I can get the Process down, there would be Plenty to do..

THANK YOU Marty

monahan_z
February 12th, 2015, 08:52 AM
Marty, I'm not quite sure what you are trying to do, but if you want to simply get or put files on to your PC you can use the programs PCGET or PCPUT described here:
http://s100computers.com/Software%20Index%20Page.htm
If is essentially RAM size independent.

Marty
February 12th, 2015, 12:08 PM
Hi All;
John, Thank You for Your reply..
I can use the PCGET/PUT to copy from RAM to the PC, which is fine with me..
But, what I am trying to do is, Copy the contents of Non-CPM Floppy Diskettes to my PC..
Since I don't have enough Memory, to copy All of the Information from the Floppy to RAM..
What I would like to do is, Read by Track(s) all of the Sectors, Hopefully in the Correct order.. Copying that to my PC and then Save that Information Recombining all of the Tracks (and sectors) in the Correct order Thereby Saving the Information.. Whether it be a Binary file or a C program file or a Library file.. Where it can at a later time be Re-loaded on to another media, Hard Disk, Floppy, CD Etc..
As well as Preserving the Information and files, before they get lost for Good !!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU Marty

monahan_z
February 13th, 2015, 11:16 AM
OK that's a bit more complicated. For that you there is a module in the Z80 Monitor (MASTER.Z80) which you could also work from, read in each disk sector to RAM, and from there send it to the serial port. Repeat until done. However you will have to program this yourself. On the PC side, the Telnet program could not care less how large the program is.

Good luck
John

Marty
February 14th, 2015, 08:24 AM
Hi All;
THANK YOU, very much, John !!!
John, Can I do a whole Track at a Time ?? Assuming that the sectors are in the correct order, because of inter-leaving ?? Just pretend its a CPM disk as far as inter-leaving, unless proven otherwise..

THANK YOU Marty

monahan_z
February 15th, 2015, 08:31 AM
Marty there are many ways you can do this. It depends on what your final goal is. If you want to 'build' and image on the PC or CF card etc. you can copy sectors one at a time across. Retrieving CPM sector data for files is much more complicated, you have to read the directory and then find the relevant sectors. All the monitor program does is transfer bytes from RAM it does not in any way know what they represent.

John

Marty
February 15th, 2015, 01:43 PM
Hi All;
Thank You, John for Your Answer.. And Patience with me and Help..
"" All the monitor program does is transfer bytes from RAM it does not in any way know what they represent. "" I knew that, I just thought that it would be Easier to Copy to Ram a Track, Rather than a Sector at a time, Since multiple Sectors make a Track.. And provided that I have enough Memory to copy the Tracks to..
OtherWise, Yes, I will stick with the Sector Copy procedure..
Which Memory Board Works with the Z-80 CPU Board, and what is the max amount ??
I will see about Ordering One or two from You in the Near future..
THANK YOU Marty