PDA

View Full Version : Hero Robot

ziloo
October 6th, 2006, 11:14 AM
I remember that very recently one of our VC comrades mentioned
something about having a "Hero Robot" (or was I dreaming... :rockedov:).
If that wasn't me taking a nap in front of the moniotor :sleepy:, I would like
to ask a few questions about that system.

Thank you

carlsson
October 6th, 2006, 01:27 PM
There seems to be a bit of stuff on Internet, including promotional images of a scantly clad woman (and a guy) posing with a Zenith micro computer and a HERO robot.

chuckcmagee
October 6th, 2006, 02:41 PM
I miss my Mr. Wizard tv shows. He had a hero on there once, I think. Was toooooo expensive in those days for me.

ziloo
October 7th, 2006, 02:13 AM
There seems to be a bit of stuff on Internet, including promotional images of a scantly clad woman (and a guy) posing with a Zenith micro computer and a HERO robot.

Thank you carlsson! I have seen it.

carlsson
October 7th, 2006, 03:24 AM
I'm most interested to know where all those toy and household robots went. At what point in time was the Great Toy Robot Crash (similar to the Great Video Game Crash)? I know Sony has put out a robot dog and some other toys in recent years which may be a continuation of HERO, TOPO and all the others from mid-80's, but those new robots seem to be all toy, no practical use which partly was the idea behind the old ones.

I think I've quoted before that it was expected that by year 2000, almost every household would own a robot to help with chores and play with, while home computers still would be exclusive to only enthusiasts. That someone who made the prediction could not fathom the World Wide Web and to lesser degree WYSIWYG word processing, spreadsheets etc. And games of course, that hardware would improve so more people got mesmerized by the potentials in playing computer/video games.

atari2600a
October 7th, 2006, 03:42 AM
Is that prediction untrue? Do most households not have washing machines, driers, & dishwashers? It all depends on your opinion of where machines end & robots begin...

ziloo
October 7th, 2006, 10:03 AM
You are both right. It was expected that robots would be a lot more
advanced than they are at present time. However there are many
mechanical devices that have intelligence built into them. Today's
automobiles are an example of that and everyday there is more and
more intelligent electronics fed into their design. You know, most
people don't realize that the hard disk on their PC is actually a robot
and a very sophisticated one.

USSEnterprise
October 7th, 2006, 10:43 AM
I still have an old Tomy Omnibot 2000. My mother got it for my father as a gift back when they were dating. Just needs the huge, sealed lead acid battery and it would work again. Even had a tray it could deliver drinks with.

ziloo
October 7th, 2006, 11:22 AM
That is a very nice one USS. A working unit with all its periphrals costs
a bunch on ebay.

carlsson
October 8th, 2006, 08:29 AM
For that matter, I would call a dishwasher a computer just as much as I call it a robot. Of course, a robot is a computer with mechanical parts attached to it. Do you call a hard disk a robot because it both has its own intelligence and moving parts? In that case, my 1541 floppy drives are robots as well, from the early 1980s.

ziloo
October 8th, 2006, 11:56 AM
..., my 1541 floppy drives are robots as well, from the early 1980s.

You are right Carlsson; any electro-mechanical device with some sort of intelligence
built into it that can perform preprogrammed tasks is referred to as a robot.

However, from what I understand, more sophisticated robots are intelligent cybernetic
systems that are able to acquire feedback from their own operation and their environment
and respond according to a set of rules to achieve their goal.

atari2600a
October 8th, 2006, 02:56 PM
...& then there's androids, which are humanoid robots, such as Honda's ASIMO...

Terry Yager
October 8th, 2006, 05:06 PM
What about my Furbys?

--T

chuckcmagee
October 8th, 2006, 05:10 PM
I never did buy one of those robot dogs. My real dogs (2 pembroke welsh corgis) would tear it up in about 10 minutes!

atari2600a
October 8th, 2006, 05:13 PM
What about my Furbys?

--T

Microwave-fun? :p

Terry Yager
October 8th, 2006, 05:28 PM
I never did buy one of those robot dogs. My real dogs (2 pembroke welsh corgis) would tear it up in about 10 minutes!

My big, brave, chihuahua/poodle mix dogs just run & hide under the bed whenever I sic 'Tek', the wonder-dog robot-toy onto 'em.

--T

Terry Yager
October 8th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Microwave-fun? :p

I've seen that page...

--T

ziloo
October 9th, 2006, 01:49 AM
I've seen that page...

--T

Which page?

atari2600a
October 9th, 2006, 06:45 AM
There's a video on the internet in which someone microwaves a Furby. (It's extremely entertaining, as it catches blaze right after speaking)