PDA

View Full Version : Getting Dos 3.3 onto an XT

3pcedev
February 22nd, 2015, 12:19 AM
Hi all,

This problem seems really simple however I am almost totally stuck....

I want to get DOS 3.3 onto my XT using a simple boot disk. This is to run a game which requires a large amount of RAM. Currently I have DOS 5 installed on the machine (XT-CF).

Now I can't use SYS or FORMAT from DOS 3.3 while running DOS 5 as it will complain about the version. To get around this I formatted a 360k disk and put a DOS 5 system on it. I then executed attrib -r -h -s on IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS to make the files visible. Finally I replaced them with IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS and COMMAND.COM from DOS 3.3. Last step was to reattribute them as system, hidden and read only.

This worked for the first DOS 3.3 version I found on the web BUT it had a screwy "NEC" version of IO.SYS which meant it did not report the fixed disk correctly (in this case the XT-CF running a 256mb card). I did get the A> prompt though.

I repeated this procedure for 2 other versions of IO.SYS/MSDOS.SYS from DOS 3.3 that I found on the net however both just hang the system when booting (no complaints about can't find an operating system, just locks).

I then tried a Teledisk image of DOS 3.3 I found on VetusWare (which turns out to be trixters) however this somehow ruined 2 disks. Basically it wrote the image, then the disk was not readable and had sector errors. Formatting the disks then resulted in about half of the sectors being flagged as bad.

All I need is a DOS 3.3 boot disk with FORMAT and FDISK so I can partition another CF card. Any suggestions on where to go from here?

modem7
February 22nd, 2015, 12:29 AM
All I need is a DOS 3.3 boot disk with FORMAT and FDISK so I can partition another CF card. Any suggestions on where to go from here?
A WinImage-created image of a 720K sized IBM DOS 3.3 boot diskette (with FDISK and FORMAT) is at http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/misc/5170_gsetup_720k.imz

modem7
February 22nd, 2015, 12:54 AM
And, if you need a 360K sized floppy, PM me, and I will freely post one to you.

3pcedev
February 24th, 2015, 12:02 AM
Thanks for that. I ended up resizing your image back to 360k (only drive I have in the XT) and it worked fine.

I forgot that DOS 3.3 had a ~40mb limit on partitions though.....

Stone
February 24th, 2015, 04:36 AM
IIRC, it's 32 MB.