PDA

View Full Version : Anyone collect vintage MODEMs ?

ahm
October 7th, 2006, 01:06 PM
I seem to have accumulated more than my share, including a little 2-inch cube called a Q-Blazer.

Vlad
October 7th, 2006, 01:57 PM
I have a small collection of externial ones I've gathered through the years. Mainly USR's. I have a Zoom modem somewhere I loved and another one that was mint condition when I got it, don't remember its brand though. I like external ones the best. I have 2 ADB ones too. Somewhere I have a USB one I used on a PowerMac before I got ADSL.....

-VK

irishmike
October 7th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Gosh I have one USR Sportster and a VicModem 1200 (goes in the user slot on the C64). I would love to find one of the old black couriers (they were bulky, but the best of the best in modems! IMO. We ran our BBS' off of a Zoom and a Supra back in 1990.

Anyhow, it is interesting (to me anyhow) that everytime they jumped in speed after 2400 BPS, the claim was that the speed was as fast as a phone line could carry data... then a faster one would come along ;-)

ahm
October 7th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Right, I meant external ones.
Never had any use for the other kind.
Gotta have blinkylights.
And I've always been partial to the heft of an extruded aluminum case.

chuckcmagee
October 7th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Hands down, those "big black courier" were by far the best modems going. I had about 4 of them in 1995. I would talk my boss at work into buying me some. I did in fact need them for work as I was always calling in with "pc anywhere" to check on the network status.

PhotoJim
October 7th, 2006, 05:57 PM
I have quite a few, although it was never meant to be a collection.

I have three external USR Courier V.Everything v.90 modems... they are the ones I use. One is at the cottage (no broadband there), two are at home. I have an internal V.Everything too.

I have a GVC v.34 external and another v.34 external that I can't remember the type of. I also have a GVC v.32 (9600 bps).

I have a Pocket Modem (1650 clone, one of the smallest Commodore modems). I used to run my BBS on a Pocket Modem long ago.

I have a Commodore 1670 (with the Commodore user port connector).

I have a bunch of miscellaneous internals, the only one aside from the V.Everything that is interesting is a Zoltrix v.90 hardware modem that's in my 486 running Linux.

Jim

Sharkonwheels
October 8th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Yo Mike!

I got one RIGHT up your alley.

Serial number 001277 (I think) USR Courier HST Dual Standard.
In the box, with foam, AC Adapter, and manual.

This is the old HUGE black modems (round LED) that all the Sysop's used.
It's not a Sysop demo, it's a full retail one. The first quick way to tell the originals, is teh manual: it's in a black binder. The later models had white regular paper books.

I've owned this easily since like 1992/1993 or so.

I can put up a pic if you're interested...I dunno...I'm thinking about it.
I have owned it for an awfully long time.

I traded an Atari 520ST for it waaaaaaay back when...

These things were hundreds and hundreds of dollars!

But boy, was 16,800bps faaaaast! 16.8k down/450 up I think, right?

Tony

Terry Yager
October 8th, 2006, 07:53 AM
I don't actively collect 'em, but I seem to have accumulated quite a few PCMCIA laptop modems, ranging from 14.4 - 56K. If anyone wants some or all, drop me a pm.

--T