PDA

View Full Version : BeOS - not bad for DEAD

chuckcmagee
October 7th, 2006, 05:10 PM
DoctorPepper suggested I try out the free BeOS Max Edition. I had heard many great things about BeOS over the years but it was always priced out of my interest range. Well, it is a BEAR to get it to install and don't try it on a ACPI laptop but it's working great on the Gateway 600YGR that I'm using at the moment. Yes, yes, I have BeOS running, Firefox 1.5 fired up and typing away here.

Inquiring minds want to know :cool:

http://www.bebits.com is a good place to start, I suppose.

Vlad
October 7th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Thats pretty cool. I'm downloading it now, I'd like to give it a shot.

-VK

chuckcmagee
October 7th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Producing the "bootable cd" was very tough for me. I kept trying to do it in Windows and I don't have Nero. Think I wasted 10 CD-Rs trying various methods. Finally, I just took the boot floppy image and put it on a 1.44 disk, booted the install from there. I put the cd in the cdrom drive, of course, at the same time. BeOS didn't like any of my graphics cards, so I would hit the space bar early in the boot process and pick "safe mode graphics". The VESA drivers used by safe mode work fine. The Max Edition tends to like older hardware, altho it says it doesn't like very early Pentiums. My Pent 4 M 1.8Ghz worked ok.

If you are gonna use Windows, better have Nero and use the provided "cue" file.
Linux cdrecord would likely work much better, I didn't have much success with that either.

Vlad
October 7th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Yeah, I just blew threw a CD-R. I'm probably going to mess with it more when I get more free time. I can install Nero though.....

-VK

atari2600a
October 7th, 2006, 06:35 PM
The trial version of Alcohol 120% should do anything Nero can do. (I know how you feel, I've burnt my share of DreamCast images incorrectly)

chuckcmagee
October 8th, 2006, 07:01 AM
I dug out some new CD-Rs and fired up a linux. I got "cdrecord" to work well under linux. cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc -speed=24 -v -data track1.img track2.img ---- that works well on my machine. I successfully created 2 different versions of BeOS that both boot off the cdrom. Only took me like 15 tries. Sure glad those suckers are cheap.

PhotoJim
October 8th, 2006, 07:12 AM
Guys... that's what CD-RWs are for... screw them up... erase them... try again. :)

chuckcmagee
October 8th, 2006, 07:14 AM
I know.... but they are 8x slower on my machine so I went for the CD-R. That 25 minutes waiting for a CD-RW was tooooo painful.

Vlad
October 8th, 2006, 04:52 PM
A lot of older stuff won't read CD-RW's either. Some stuff will refuse to boot them too. CD-R at low speed is always the safest bet for working.

-VK

fxg
October 9th, 2006, 12:05 AM
@chuckmagee - 8x in 25 minutes is outrageous. My drives burn at 8x in 8minutes for a full disc. And I use high-speed cd-rw for all the testing, which seems to work even in my 2x drives.

chuckcmagee
October 9th, 2006, 08:03 AM
You misread that. CD-R is 8 TIMES faster (24 vs 4) on my drives. With the CD-RW I think it averages around 3x, bounces around as it goes.

applefreak
October 17th, 2006, 12:13 PM
You misread that. CD-R is 8 TIMES faster (24 vs 4) on my drives. With the CD-RW I think it averages around 3x, bounces around as it goes.
writing CD or DVD at high speed isn't good voor the quality of the content

i you want to archive data on a CD or DVD :

- by good quality CD(gold) /DVD writable (not rewritable)
http://www.chipchapin.com/CDMedia/cdr5.php3
- do not use multisession
- write at low speed (x2 ... x4 max)
- keep them in a box on a safe dry place

if you still want to use "rewrite" choose for a DVD ram