PDA

View Full Version : What exactly does this mean?

apple2fan
October 9th, 2006, 01:49 PM
A couple of months ago I was working on my Apple II plus, just checking the motherboard.
I closed It up put the monitor back on top of It, and powered it up.
There was no beep, the drives didn't start on, but the power light was on.
The screen displayed this:

??@@??@@??@@??@@??@@??@@??@@??@@??@@??@@

Here is a picture some guy took:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/cirvin/apple2out.jpg

A bunch of gibberish.
I turned It off and then back on and the speaker made a strange noise. Besides that nothing changed.
I started to panic. I took the cover lid off and fiddled with It for a while.
After I was done fiddling with It I powered It on again..... and the familiar beep came on. I was scared to touch It ever again! It has worked perfect ever since then, and I have taken extra caution with all of my computers.
I have been having the same problem with my Apple II, minus the gibberish on the screen.

So, what does that all mean? In other words does anyone know what was wrong with It? It was strange that It showed all that stuff on the screen.

Maye I knocked a IC loose or some wires.
I just don't know!!:confused:

Any suggestions?

Thank you.:)

MystikShadows
October 9th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Hi, basically, two reasons I've seen it happen on apples were

1. the video display just paused, lack of sync with the rest of the electronic. maybe it got cold or something
Not much to do, when everything's the same temperature it would typically fix itself.

2. I noticed that if the regular ram chips had problems it would reflect on the video display.
pop the chips out, if you have the right tool, maybe clean the connections on the chip and on the sockets, put them back in, might help.

With this in mind, i'll let an apple pro reply with more details. But in my case, these two situations were the cause of this effect on the display.

apple2fan
October 9th, 2006, 03:06 PM
I didn't even think about the video display.
Maybe that was the problem.
Not sure though. I will try to pull out the rams without breaking the pins.
I already broke one of the 16 pins on my joystick port just by pulling It out of the motherboard. That's a rant for another day.:)

apple2fan
October 16th, 2006, 05:05 PM
This Is weird! I have found almost absolutely nothing about this on-line! I have even Googled this, nothing. I only found a few things that match up, these where all from apple fritter. It turns out someone on this very sight was having the same problem like 3 years ago too!:)