PDA

View Full Version : My posts ...

mbbrutman
October 9th, 2006, 05:20 PM
You have all probably noticed that I've been kind of brusque with my posts lately. There are lots of reasons for it, but here are my pet peeves.

- Posting about the same things over and over again without doing basic research.

- People shooting off their mouths without thinking first.

- People using public messages when private messages are far more appropriate.

- Posting in the wrong area of the forum.

- Way off topic posts.

And that is just the offenses that the regulars like to commit. We won't even get into the loads of spam and regular newbie mistakes that occur daily.

I enjoy helping people get more out of their old machines, and I especially enjoy programming them. But I'm having a hard time dealing with the low signal to noise ratio here. And I've come to realize that's a personal problem that I have to deal with and not try to force my view of the universe on the rest of you. I crave deeper technical conversations than what is generally occurring here, but it's not happening.

I've been a regular user here since May 2003. Before I became a moderator I would check in every few days and read what I wanted to read. After becoming a moderator I felt the need to check in every few hours and read everything, scanning for bad content, misplaced posts, etc. It's taxing, especially considering the growth in the number of users we had this summer.

So I'm going to take a break from moderating. I'm going to chip in on the conversations that interest me, and I'm going to ignore the rest. The off topic areas can remain the cesspool that they are, and I promise not to go near them under any circumstances.

Those of you who want to contact me, do so by email.

chuckcmagee
October 9th, 2006, 05:41 PM
I don't blame you. When I was a network administrator, I would ask people nicely to clean up their departmental server area. Over and over I would ask, and over and over nothing would happen. In fact, I would get routine requests for more and more disk space. I thought that was going to be a "pet peeve" when I took over the job, and it sure was. This was back around 1994 when disk space was much more expensive. It's getting ridiculous now as far as mb per dollar.

alexkerhead
October 9th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Mr. Brutman,

I understand where you are coming from, I just got done reading the entire N. korea thread and must say that I saw you do nothing condescending towards the younger members as you were accused of.

Mr. Brutman has been great to me(I am a young member) during my time spent here at VC. He has never had a different demeanor towards me, but I have tried to show him respect, as I have other members.

Thanks Mr. Brutman for being such a great moderator and consuliary to myself and others.

Unknown_K
October 9th, 2006, 08:38 PM
I was asked some time ago to be a moderator on a forum and declined. While I did post quite a bit there, it was allways in spurts and there would be some weeks where I might not check in more then once.

The forums I frequent tend to be specific to one platform (this is the only one that is not), and I use them as a resource for my machines of that platform, to help others who have problems I can solve, and to just see what is going on in the world. Once you become a moderator its like work (non paying work and full of problems to sort out). If you do it long enough it might burn you out on the hobby.

I have problems in other forums where the regulars rarely come anymore since they have done all they wanted to do with the platform or just work to much to show up anymore. The one forum in particular has people with 5000 posts in a year or so and 99% are about nothing, they don't even have the machines specific to the forum anymore. Makes me wonder why they heck they even joined in the first place.

IBMMuseum
October 10th, 2006, 10:44 AM
You have all probably noticed that I've been kind of brusque with my posts lately. There are lots of reasons for it, but here are my pet peeves.

- Posting about the same things over and over again without doing basic research.

- People shooting off their mouths without thinking first.

- People using public messages when private messages are far more appropriate.

- Posting in the wrong area of the forum.

- Way off topic posts.

And that is just the offenses that the regulars like to commit.

I hope to be a calming voice from my perspective, one that comes from participating on a few computer forums (not that long here), dealing with a wide variety of people, and an age that has gained wisdom but tempered by a "I'm too old to put up with this crap" attitude. You imply the regulars are misbehaving deliberately, but in addition to thoughtlessness this can be caused by regulars settling in to make a forum a place for themselves & their views (which is actually more desired sometimes, as it gives a cold place a sense of personality). Unfortunately when you tell a few people "make yourself at home" they will walk around in their underwear.

Being a moderator in a group dynamic (or in some forums it comes closer to a "pack" mentality) is definately hard. The concept of self-regulation is not an easy task, where each one of us understands "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few [or the one]". Pick your fights carefully, and for the good of the forum don't let it degenerate into personal conflicts.

What I would recommend is totally ditching the political & religious forum areas entirely. This is a vintage computer forum; If it is off that topic then the poster needs to take a walk down the hall to find the appropriate place. It isn't here, otherwise we would have an area for "Abortion".

We won't even get into the loads of spam and regular newbie mistakes that occur daily.
Like the double posts I have had happen twice? Thank You moderators for the job that you do. No, I don't want the job. ;)

I enjoy helping people get more out of their old machines, and I especially enjoy programming them. But I'm having a hard time dealing with the low signal to noise ratio here. And I've come to realize that's a personal problem that I have to deal with and not try to force my view of the universe on the rest of you. I crave deeper technical conversations than what is generally occurring here, but it's not happening.

I've been a regular user here since May 2003. Before I became a moderator I would check in every few days and read what I wanted to read. After becoming a moderator I felt the need to check in every few hours and read everything, scanning for bad content, misplaced posts, etc. It's taxing, especially considering the growth in the number of users we had this summer.

So I'm going to take a break from moderating. I'm going to chip in on the conversations that interest me, and I'm going to ignore the rest.

Sounds like a plan. Best way to see threads of a more technical nature is to start a few yourself. I'll try to tell more of my projects (duplicated for the newsgroups I inhabit too) here in the future too (posted in the appropriate areas).

The off topic areas can remain the cesspool that they are, and I promise not to go near them under any circumstances.
But isn't that where this thread is?...