PDA

View Full Version : The meaning of "Refurbished"

Sharkonwheels
October 10th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Is it me?
Or are a bunch of IT recycling companies abusing that word?

To them, yanking, let's say, a hard disk out, and dusting it off, means refurbished.

Uh, sorry, that's USED, or, let's go with PRE-OWNED!

I think these vendors (I won't *COUGH* IT *COUGH* name any names *COUGH* Express *Cough* ) need sto top the liberal use of this word. Refurbished, means literally, it was taken apart, tested, any defective parts replaced as new, and made like new. Now, it may have a few cosmetic issues, but that's why you pay less.

Now, yankin' a 20yo drive out of a computer, blowing it off with your $7.00 large can of compressed air, THAT AIN'T REFURBISHING!

Sorry - just had to vent.

Seems to me that alot of people are getting fooled, because of the word's use. Refurbished implies something, that yanking-and-dusting-off is not.

Tony

atari2600a
October 10th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Shouldn't this be more in the 'Rants' section?

chuckcmagee
October 10th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Did sound like a rant to me.

daflory
October 10th, 2006, 12:16 PM
It's a serious issue, I agree. "Factory refurbished" is really the only term that means anything.

A lot of people honestly don't know the proper use of the word. Some sellers use "refurbished" to describe "open-box, tested good" items, which isn't deceptive but is still inaccurate.

Personally, "refurbished" is one of those words that I just tune out now. I'm more interested in seeing "tested," "working pull with warranty" :).

Terry Yager
October 10th, 2006, 01:09 PM
A friend of mine just bought an IBM 'Factory Refurbished' laptop a couple of weeks ago: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330027608240 (using my account). The 'pute is only bout two years old, lease-returned. I wonder if IBM/Lenovo even bother to open the returned lappers up and blow out the dust? More likely they just set 'em up on a bench and run a standard set of diags, then clean 'em up externally, and slap the refurb sticker on the bottom. I'm not complaining tho, especially for the price...under $500.00 for a 2GHz ThinkPad with 2-year (SquareTrade) warranty ain't bad at all.

--T

Sharkonwheels
October 11th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Those ebayers doing that are pissin'me off. That just ain't right.

Yeah, sorry about where I originally posted - I forgot to look for a 'Spew' section, which is this!!!

Tony

Terry Yager
October 11th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Those (usually reputable) sellers who offer the optional SquareTrade warranties must describe the item as 'used', 'refurbished', or 'new', because it makes a difference in the length of warrantee, 1, 2, or 3 years respectively, so sometimes calling it refurb instead of used is to the buyer's advantage.

--T

apple2fan
October 15th, 2006, 05:41 PM
In my personal opinion, refurbished to me means to clean It, fix It, and make It look and run like New. But other peoples opinion Is to slap an "refurbished sticker" on the side, and call the job done. I agree with Sharkonwheels, It's not right.

Unknown_K
October 15th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Those (usually reputable) sellers who offer the optional SquareTrade warranties must describe the item as 'used', 'refurbished', or 'new', because it makes a difference in the length of warrantee, 1, 2, or 3 years respectively, so sometimes calling it refurb instead of used is to the buyer's advantage.

--T

Do you buy those extended warrenties?

chuckcmagee
October 15th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Not that you asked me :p , but I usually buy them. Depends, if it's "very used" I won't bother (like 3 year old motherboard, for example).

Terry Yager
October 16th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Do you buy those extended warrenties?

Yes, sometimes. I bought a $75.00 computer last week, and it only cost $11.00 more for a two year warantee (and it'll probably break down sometime, given it's age).

--T