PDA

View Full Version : Help me fix my IBM PC/XT Model 5160

Great Hierophant
October 11th, 2006, 02:46 PM
I acquired an IBM PC/XT Model 5160 from a guy on Craigslist last night for $20. He said the system was not working. The power supply doesn't seem to work at all. Neither of the floppy or the hard drive lights come on when you flick the switch. I tried removing everything from the case, but the power supply is fitted to the metal underneath and the double half-height floppies don't seem to want to come free. What should I do? The two drives are screwed into each other and the case chassis won't allow me to remove all the screws. They should be able to be pushed out, right? This is among the last models of the XT, with 256-640KB RAM board and a 20MB Seagate ST-225 Hard drive.

Terry Yager
October 11th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Did you find the hidden drive mounting screw that is accessible thru a hole in the bottom of the case?

--T

Great Hierophant
October 11th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Did you find the hidden drive mounting screw that is accessible thru a hole in the bottom of the case?

so thats what that big hole in the bottom was for? I found it now, thanks. I assume that once the drives are freed, the power supply should slide forward and out.

I hope that an ordinary power supply with the proper connectors and a power switch would work, at least to test.

Mike Chambers
October 11th, 2006, 08:38 PM
yeah any old AT power supply with decent wattage will work, those machines don't take too much power.

Great Hierophant
October 12th, 2006, 07:03 AM
I hope its the power supply thats at fault and not the motherboard. I checked the motherboard, dusted it off some, but if its dead, then I will need a replacement 256-640K board.

Terry Yager
October 12th, 2006, 09:39 AM
yeah any old AT power supply with decent wattage will work, those machines don't take too much power.

Ummn, make that PC/XT. The AT power supply is different.

--T

Great Hierophant
October 14th, 2006, 07:40 AM
Ummn, make that PC/XT. The AT power supply is different.

--T

But could you use any power supply with the proper connectors to see whether the board will at least boot up?

Great Hierophant
October 18th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Another problem has come up. I was reseating the socketed chips, which on the XT are the:
8088 CPU
8087 Math Coprocessor (not present)
2z32KB ROM BIOS
18x256kbit 150ns RAM
18x64kbit 150ns RAM
8284 Bus Controller Chip

Unfortunately I broke the VCC pin off the 8284, so even if I replace the power supply there is no guarantee that the motherboard will work. I'm not sure if what is remaining of the pin is making contact with the socket contact. Anyone have a spare or know where I can get one?

mbbrutman
October 18th, 2006, 05:41 PM
If there is still some pin showing you can use a short jumper wire and solder as a patch.

If you replace the chip I think you actually want an 8284A, not a straight 8284.

It's painful when something like this happens. Just a word of caution to people who might need it - don't play with chips unnecessarily, and use proper grounding (a static strap) when you do. Even if you don't break a pin, you can still do damage. This stuff wasn't designed to last 20 years.