PDA

View Full Version : BSD2.11 rrestore

iainmaoileoin
March 31st, 2015, 01:48 AM
My BSD2.11 has happily done an rdump over the network.
but ...
rrestor(e) is documented in my man pages, but I cant find source (or bin) on my system nor on the internet.

Does anybody have any clues where I should search?

cruff
March 31st, 2015, 03:16 PM
I looked at my 2.11 system, and while I found the rrestore man page, did not find the executable, nor was the source present in the source tree. You could use the rsh command to pipe the data from the remote system into the restor command on the 2.11 system.

m_thompson
April 1st, 2015, 03:58 AM
You could use the rsh command to pipe the data from the remote system into the restor command on the 2.11 system.

This is how the OS installation on a Sun-3 system works.

iainmaoileoin
April 2nd, 2015, 03:29 PM
I will try again - but I have just shutdown my machine for the night.

My memory is that I did try an rsh to suck the data, but that BSD2.11 restor does not have "-" as a filename for stdin, so a pipe intput is no use.

I had a quick poke at the source code and it was not as simple as skipping the "open()" and duping the descriptor - I did try that as "a quick fix" but ...
I think the code does ioctls/seeks on the input - which does not work well over a pipe.

I found versions of restor(e) on the net, but they were much newer and had a different "i-node" structure (and were very BSD4.2/4.3ish), so I have started looking at the rdump code to reverse the "rmt" calls into a version of restor. I have run out of time for now - hence the call for help - but as Easter aproaches, I may get a free day to play.

tar does not have rmt access - but it does have "-" so it could be used after a fashion. I am not stuck, just cant seem to find rrrestor(e) - despite having a manual page for it! I was not sure if I was missing something.