PDA

View Full Version : Make runable *.bas files

cruising
April 13th, 2015, 10:43 AM
Hello!

i copied the text from here ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/windows/msdos/RESKIT/SUPPDISK/GORILLA.BAS and transfered it to my pc, but i cant press F5 to run it even if i have saved it as a .bas file in Win7 and q-basic it self.

What can i do to be able to "F5 RUN" the file?

Agent Orange
April 13th, 2015, 01:44 PM
Hello!

i copied the text from here ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/windows/msdos/RESKIT/SUPPDISK/GORILLA.BAS and transfered it to my pc, but i cant press F5 to run it even if i have saved it as a .bas file in Win7 and q-basic it self.

What can i do to be able to "F5 RUN" the file?

Just checked GORILLA.BAS out and it works just fine. You need to be within QBASIC for the F5 key to have any meaning for the game. You could compile the game with the BASIC compiler and run it as GORILLA.EXE.

natcha
April 13th, 2015, 02:58 PM
I also downloaded it and gave it a try. I used DOSBOX to load QB45 and then ran Gorilla.bas just fine from within QB45 by using the F5 key. I could also create an EXE file and then run it direct n DOSBOX. This was on my Desktop Windows 8 64 bit machine.

I then tried it on my notebook, which is running Windows 7, 32 bit. While I could run QB45 from the command line and load the Gorilla.bas file, I could not run it. I get the message "This system does not support full screen mode." I could create the EXE file, just couldn't run it.

You didn't give much info. Which version of q-basic are you running? Is your Win7 system 32bit or 64 bit. When you have QB loaded with the gorilla.bas file loaded, what happens when you press the F5 key? Do you get an error message?

You may want to try running QB in DOSBox and see what happens.

Bill
Smithville, NJ

cruising
April 13th, 2015, 03:25 PM
I dont use any dos emulator, i use a real 8088 pc with qbasic installed on it.
I dowloaded the BAS file and transfered it to the 8088 pc and didnt get any choise to run it with the F5 key within qbasic, it seams like qbasic thinks it is a TXT file and not a BAS file?

Stone
April 13th, 2015, 03:39 PM
Have you tried this with GW-BASIC?

natcha
April 13th, 2015, 03:52 PM
I dont use any dos emulator, i use a real 8088 pc with qbasic installed on it.
I dowloaded the BAS file and transfered it to the 8088 pc and didnt get any choise to run it with the F5 key within qbasic, it seams like qbasic thinks it is a TXT file and not a BAS file?

Okay, I misunderstood - since you had referred to Win 7 in your original post.

Which version of Qbasic are you running? I just tried running it with QBasic 1.0 and it ran fine in DosBox on my system.
In Qbasic 1.0, you need to either select "Run" from the menu, or press Shift-F5 to run it, not F5.
I think QBasic 1.0 came with MS-DOS 5.0 and was downward compatible to MS-DOS 3.20.

Again - Which version of Qbasic? Select "Help" and then "about".

Thanks,

Bill
Smithville, NJ