PDA

View Full Version : Reeves Computer Sub Assembly

brucewee
April 18th, 2015, 01:21 AM
Hello,
I cam across an old piece of equipment and I can find no info on it. The info tag reads U.S. Property Computer Subassembly MX-1097/MSQ-2 Reeves Instrument Corp, It has a Service Tag Dated 1979. If Anyone could give me some info on it that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

GottaLottaStuff
April 19th, 2015, 08:59 PM
U.S. Property means it was built for a branch of the government. Cont. No. is the contract number that it was built under. AF is probably Air Force. Looks like a part from a helicopter or airplane. Try searching for the contract number at the National Archives or ask on a Warbirds forum.

From Wikipedia listing for Reeves Instrument Corporation:
Early in the Cold War, Reeves developed & tested the AN/USQ-24 [sic] [AN/MSQ-2A] Bomb Scoring Central,[3] a variant of the MSQ-2 Close Support Control Set developed by Rome Air Development Center.[3] Bomb Scoring Centrals by RICO were used for Radar Bomb Scoring (RBS), as well as Korean War ground-directed bombing (GDB) controlled by TADPOLE sites. "Reeves Instrument Corporation [was] a wholly owned subsidiary of Ö Claude Neon, Inc." on April 15, 1955, when the former merged into Dynamics Corporation of America; and on January 20, 1956, the other Reeves division of NeonóReeves-Ely Laboratories, Inc.--also merged into Dynamics.[4]

It could be part of a radar guided bombing system, that's what the MSQ-2 seems to be.

Chuck(G)
April 19th, 2015, 09:42 PM
One of those words--"computer"--that has changed meaning over the years. In this case, a mechanical device that performs some sort of mathematical transformation between the input and output. Another example would be the ball-and-disk integrator. In industrial control systems, you have integrators, differentiators, square root extractors, etc.--all mechanical.

toober
April 20th, 2015, 03:05 PM
I am not home right now to look it up, but clearly it is a subassembly of a larger computer (MX- in JETDS terminology means "miscellaneous", a catch all category.). I am fairly certain I have a manual set of the AN/MSQ-2, including the Reeves computers.

--
Will

brucewee
April 20th, 2015, 04:55 PM
I would be interested in acquiring a manual for the sets, Let me know if you have them.
Thanks
Ken