PDA

View Full Version : "Vintage" collecting is a disease...

chuckcmagee
October 13th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Everyone that has figured out the "vintage collecting" is a disease that passes from one poor computer freak to the next, raise your hand!

I just found myself DROOLING over an IBM 5160 on ebay. Those things were total dogs when I had to use them at work! I can't count the times I lost a file on those flaking floppies. Erik should be quarantined to stop further infections. I am already badly infected so just bypass me. Think I have bids on 6 TRS-80 Model 100s looking for more ram to put in my newly acquired Nec PC-8201A.

atari2600a
October 13th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Stop vintage collecting!? NEVER!!!!! *grabs nearest computer over 15 years old & runs off*

apple2fan
October 13th, 2006, 08:02 PM
I will never stop collecting, but sometimes It can get a little out of hand when you can't walk threw your room because you filled all your shelf space, and are now reserving for the floor!:)
Yesterday I had to put some of my collection In my spare bedroom because I didn't want to trip over the three on the floor.

Sharkonwheels
October 13th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Yo, Chuck, I have a 5150 with a 16kb-64kb motherboard you can have for a song :D

Tony

chuckcmagee
October 13th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Hehe, it's ok, I've recovered now. I strongly remember the 270 seconds it took to boot those babies up.

Sharkonwheels
October 13th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Oh, come on - it's calling your name.

I can hear it...faintly.....over the sound of the AC unit.

Tony

atari2600a
October 14th, 2006, 12:22 AM
(4 minutes later) *Floppy drive churning*...*BEEP!*

Mad-Mike
October 14th, 2006, 03:30 AM
(Sentient 5150's Thoughts...........)
1..........2..........4...........8...........ummm m...........16.............(5 minutes later)..........64......................ok, now what the heck is this thing (looks at 16 bit IDE multi-I/O card)...ah, screw it...."BEEP". (Drive Seek Noises)......blink, blink, blink, blink, blink, blink, blink............

MS-DOS Version yadda yadda yadda
Copy....aw, screw it, let's just throw it up on screen and cut to the chase.................

A>(blink, blink, blink,blink blink)
A>(User Input) Work
A> (looks at user behind phosphors dumbfounded) Bad Command Or Filename

curtis
October 21st, 2006, 07:01 PM
Everyone that has figured out the "vintage collecting" is a disease that passes from one poor computer freak to the next, raise your hand!

Think I have bids on 6 TRS-80 Model 100s looking for more ram to put in my newly acquired Nec PC-8201A.

Well, you just added 2 more laptops to your symptoms!

BTW, on the RAM for the slabtops, you might contact jlpservice on ebay. He quite often has RAM for the whole series available. Just checked and he doesn't have any auctions going right now, but he might still have some stock.

Curtis