PDA

View Full Version : Driver Download and Save

Grandcheapskate
April 25th, 2015, 08:52 AM
Hi Guys,
I have been putting together another PC (WinXP) and wanted to use a modem from another machine (no drivers supplied). Since I am simply testing the machine at this point, I can try all kinds of driver software until I hit the right combination. Then I'll reload cleanly from scratch.

After a lot of trial and error, I came across the website DriverMax and downloaded an EXE file for the modem. When I executed the program on my target machine (with no internet hookup), the program hung. I decided to connect the machine to the internet and try again - lo and behold the program worked and the modem is now functioning. Seems it needs to be connected to the internet in order to install the driver.

Here's my question. Now that the drivers are loaded, I know they work. I would now like to capture/copy those driver files so when I reload the machine I do not have to run the DriverMax supplied program. It seems to me that if the DriverMax site goes away, I would not be able to use their program to install the modem drivers (especially since I already tried to install them when not connected to the internet).

I can identify the 4 or 5 driver files via Control Panel, but I am not sure if I reload the machine I can simply copy those files back into the WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/DRIVER directory where they now reside and have the modem work.

Thanks...Joe