PDA

View Full Version : PHP2700 and other data cassette tape recorders.

gimgim
April 27th, 2015, 12:37 AM
I have two ZX81 and a few old cassette tapes that I would like to load.
I was thinking about buying a dedicated cassette tape recorder such as the PHP2700 or the General Electric 3-51588.
I couldn't find any info on whether these recorders are compatible with the ZX81 and even less on what is the difference between these dedicated recorders and portable audio recorders of similar vintage.
Thanks

Ksarul
April 28th, 2015, 03:50 AM
The Data Cassette recorders used for the TI-99/4A (PHP2700 and others) are perfectly normal audio cassette recorders. I used a standard portable audio recorder with my machine for years, although I later got one of the TI recorders as part of a lot of parts I bought for my system. I'm not sure on the ZX81 part of your question, as I never owned one of those.

krebizfan
April 28th, 2015, 07:02 AM
The difference between a data recorder and stock cassette recorder can be modest. Some are just rebadged audio models, the PHP2700 adds support for remote control, and the most extensively remodeled data recorders have the sound level fixed at an optimal level. I believe the PHP2700 should work with the ZX-81 but you will not have the remote control features and have to press the buttons yourself to use it.

Scali
April 28th, 2015, 07:20 AM
For my ZX81-clone I always used some standard Philips memo recorder thing. I think it was this one: http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philips_cassette_recorder_d662000.html
So nothing special, no special 'data recorder'. Just a standard (mono) recorder, with the line in/out hooked up to the ZX81 port.