PDA

View Full Version : CompuPro 8/16

davidestewart
May 10th, 2015, 05:31 PM
I have two CompuPro 8/16 S100 chassis personally given to me by Bill Godbout back in 1993. These are fully loaded with 286 CPU's, 2mb M-Drive, system support, multiple 8 port serial cards, mfm HDD controllers, and FDD controllers. They ran when I shut them off around 1997. Since then, the disk drives have vanished but I still have the CPU chassis hardware. I was running the last version of concurrent dos that installed from a set of 5 1/4" 720k disks. These disk have also vanished. I see there are products on the market now that can emulate the disk drive "http://www.ipcas.com/products/image/usb-disketten-emulator-v3.html". Does anybody have any images they would be willing to share or information on where I can acquire said images of the old disks so I can make some usb sticks that will work with the above mentioned FDD emulator?

-David Stewart

Chuckster_in_Jax
May 11th, 2015, 01:11 PM
http://www.retroarchive.org/maslin/disks/compupro/

MicrocomputerSolutions
June 5th, 2015, 03:29 PM
Since my company was a Compupro/Viasyn Authorized System Center, at one time or another I have worked on just about every OS version ever distributed by Compupro/Viasyn, and still have copies of most of them. I can tell you that the versions available on the retroarchive.org site are all pretty old. CDOS was up to at least version 5.1E and I think they were past that. CPM-80 was up to around Version T, as was CPM-86. Most of the older versions of CDOS work, and most of the earlier versions of CPM-80 have bugs that cause problems with the DISK-3 hard disk controller, or reset problems.

I have the correct assemblers to work on most Compupro OS, as there are several different ones used. Sorry, I can't give away copies of the OSs or the Assemblers as I am still deathly afraid of what Bill Godbout might do if he decided that I was stepping on his intellectual property rights. I will still alter/reassemble legally owned versions of OSs for people who need them reconfigured and don't have the knowledge or tools do do it themselves (for a fee).

If you are serious about getting your Systems running again, I'd suggest that you look on eBay for a set of CDOS disks (if that is the OS that you want to run), and one or two 5.25" Mitsubishi 5.25" 48tpi 80 track 720K mini-floppies drives. I've seen the drives sell for between $50-$300 each (untested). I have a couple of bare drives left (can't remember if any are new, but they all look like new, and are aligned), but they go for $300 each, tested, with 180 day warranty. I don't think I have any set of original OS left in 5.25" that I can sell.

If you are going to use them, you are going to need either 8" or 5.25" floppies or mini-floppies to be able to get software onto the system. Sure, you can use a solid state drive once you get the software onto the system to run programs, but how do you expect to get it there?

geneb
June 5th, 2015, 03:42 PM
If you can make images of the newer versions, I would be happy to put them up on retroarchive.org!

g.

yuhong
June 5th, 2015, 04:20 PM
Since my company was a Compupro/Viasyn Authorized System Center, at one time or another I have worked on just about every OS version ever distributed by Compupro/Viasyn, and still have copies of most of them. I can tell you that the versions available on the retroarchive.org site are all pretty old. CDOS was up to at least version 5.1E and I think they were past that. CPM-80 was up to around Version T, as was CPM-86. Most of the older versions of CDOS work, and most of the earlier versions of CPM-80 have bugs that cause problems with the DISK-3 hard disk controller, or reset problems.

I have the correct assemblers to work on most Compupro OS, as there are several different ones used. Sorry, I can't give away copies of the OSs or the Assemblers as I am still deathly afraid of what Bill Godbout might do if he decided that I was stepping on his intellectual property rights. I will still alter/reassemble legally owned versions of OSs for people who need them reconfigured and don't have the knowledge or tools do do it themselves (for a fee).

If you are serious about getting your Systems running again, I'd suggest that you look on eBay for a set of CDOS disks (if that is the OS that you want to run), and one or two 5.25" Mitsubishi 5.25" 48tpi 80 track 720K mini-floppies drives. I've seen the drives sell for between $50-$300 each (untested). I have a couple of bare drives left (can't remember if any are new, but they all look like new, and are aligned), but they go for $300 each, tested, with 180 day warranty. I don't think I have any set of original OS left in 5.25" that I can sell.

If you are going to use them, you are going to need either 8" or 5.25" floppies or mini-floppies to be able to get software onto the system. Sure, you can use a solid state drive once you get the software onto the system to run programs, but how do you expect to get it there?
Do you know what happened to CompuPro's CPU-386 card?

MicrocomputerSolutions
June 9th, 2015, 05:21 PM
I never saw one running in person. I also never saw the 486 PC type computer that they were supposed to be manufacturing.

To tell you the truth, I don't even know when they expired. I was ordering product from them on a regular basis (I specialized in the older (I considered them to be the golden age Compupro products) Compupro S-100 board products (with voltage regulators) and there was a lot of pressure from Compupro to migrate to the newer products. They were talking about charging me extra fees to keep doing runs of the older products that were still in demand from my clients and one day they just stopped answering the phones. Surprised me because I would have thought that if demand was down, and there was excess production capacity available, they would have been happy to continue to make the older stuff. At the end, I had commercial clients fighting over the remaining available factory new inventory when Compupro closed.

The 386 Processor board only ran on systems with the switching power supplies and the newer boards (big dram board, Disk4, etc..) with the Sky-Bus. They did not run on older systems that had boards with voltage regulators on the individual boards. I was drooling to get my hands on one of the 386 systems to experiment with/on, but I never saw any, or got my hands on one. I was too focused on serving my existing system clients, and OE clients to worry about the next generation systems. I figured I'd get my hands on one when things quieted down. One day everyone was shouting, and the next day it was dead silence.

I heard that a Surplus Guy that Bill used to hang around with got a lot of the product from the closed down company, but I didn't hear until it was too late for me to go up and grab up I could. I don't know how much was left that was liquidated after they closed, for all I know, they kept a tight rein on inventory, and nothing was left when they closed. But Bill Godbout is a funny guy, and for all I know, he kept everything and just stored it when the company closed. It does seem that he was hard on his inner circle, and when he had a disagreement with one of them, that person was ejected without much ceremony. By the time Compupro closed most of the people that I considered to be close to Bill were working for other companies for whatever reason.

eeguru
June 9th, 2015, 09:17 PM
A friend of mine just gave me a 8/16 frame with terminated main-board yesterday. They don't make them like that anymore. That's what I like about what John Monahan is doing. (http://www.s100computers.com/My%20System%20Pages/80486%20Board/80486%20CPU%20Board.htm)

Chuckster_in_Jax
June 10th, 2015, 06:04 AM
FWIW:

Awhile back I snagged a CompuPro 816 386DX\DXL-40 on eBay. Even though it is just a generic Asus motherboard in a generic case, it does run at 40Mhz. I guess this was at a time when everyone was shifting to cookie cutter Intel boxes. When I bought this there was also a CompuPro 486 machine listed but I didn't get that one.

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=24723&stc=1http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=24722&stc=1http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=24724&stc=1

eeguru
June 10th, 2015, 06:56 AM
Wow.. they fell a long way to generic BBB territory.