PDA

View Full Version : Need help for IBM 300PL,need to upgrade processer

niljaviya
October 16th, 2006, 07:07 PM
hi, friends
i have old IBM300PL (6862-41U) , with P-II, 450 mmx, 512 cache, 256 Ram(PC-100)

this cpu has Slot-1 soket, i have adaptor(FCPGA) of soket 370, which can fix to slot-1

i have processer P-III, 933mmx(FCPGA), 256 cache, with the help of adaptor i want to run this processer to my above IBM 300PL

i update latest bios 58a, which says it can support up to P-III , 1 Ghz

but when i fix this processer there is no any kind of sound, no any output on screen or no any error/msg.nothing

i can't judge problem, where as if i put my older processer (P-II,450) it works fine in same condition

am i doing any mistake???
do i need to set any data in bios set up to run P-III, 933 mmx processer??
is there any other bios update file which can help me???
pls help me guide me

thanks in ADVANCE

Nil-toronto, canada

IBMMuseum
October 16th, 2006, 07:21 PM
hi, friends
i have old IBM300PL (6862-41U) , with P-II, 450 mmx, 512 cache, 256 Ram(PC-100)

this cpu has Slot-1 soket, i have adaptor(FCPGA) of soket 370, which can fix to slot-1

i have processer P-III, 933mmx(FCPGA), 256 cache, with the help of adaptor i want to run this processer to my above IBM 300PL

i update latest bios 58a, which says it can support up to P-III , 1 Ghz

but when i fix this processer there is no any kind of sound, no any output on screen or no any error/msg.nothing

i can't judge problem, where as if i put my older processer (P-II,450) it works fine in same condition

am i doing any mistake???
do i need to set any data in bios set up to run P-III, 933 mmx processer??
is there any other bios update file which can help me???
pls help me guide me

thanks in ADVANCE

Nil-toronto, canada
The original PII450 (and the PC100 RAM) is 100MHz Front Side Bus (FSB). Your replacement is a 133MHz FSB. Beyond changing the CPU (and you are using a "slocket", which increases difficulty much of the time) you will also need to upgrade the RAM for another test.

chuckcmagee
October 16th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Do those slocket adjust Vcc by themselves?? You might also have to check some Vcc setings for the 933. I would bet it wants 1.70v or 1.65v. I recently had great fun (NOT) learning all about 2.05v and 1.70v, etc etc. when my motherboard didn't support Vcc of less than 2.05. It was a blessing in disguise as it gave me a chance to buy a much better ASUS slot1 motherboard.

chuckcmagee
October 16th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Or..... get on ebay and buy a NONcoppermine 600Mhz PIII Slot1 cpu that already uses 2.05Vcc and 100 FSB.

Or... give up on the idea. Frequently, the support chipset won't like being overdriven at 133 either (if try the faster ram approach).

I had to learn all this the hard way about 6 months ago. I have 3 "spare" PIII cpus now as reminders of the "learning curve".

modem7
October 17th, 2006, 01:17 AM
I was in a similiar situation a couple of years ago.
Details for the latest BIOS indicated that the new CPU was supported, but I couldn't get the motherboard/BIOS/CPU combination to work.
The new CPU worked fine in another motherboard.
Turned out that the new CPU was only supported on the second revision level of the motherboard.

carlsson
October 17th, 2006, 01:46 AM
Or..... get on ebay and buy a NONcoppermine 600Mhz PIII Slot1 cpu that already uses 2.05Vcc and 100 FSB.
I wouldn't be surprised if you can find a different motherboard combo with CPU (Pentium III or early Athlon) in the 700-1000 MHz class and matching RAM for as much as one would spend to only get the faster RAM (if the current motherboard supports it at all) or a different Slot1 CPU. That is if Nil needs to upgrade the computer being his workhorse.

No matter what people say, I'm certain 10-15 years from now an IBM 300PL in original condition (did it come with a 450 MHz?) will be considered a vintage item of decent value. In particular since people of today dump their outdated computers in ever increasing ratios.

mbbrutman
October 17th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Discussion of Pentium II processors is off topic so I've moved the thread.

Please be considerate of where you choose to post.

Chris2005
October 19th, 2006, 04:49 PM
I was under the impression the mobo would be FSB specific, unless otherwise stated. IOWs, if it supports a 100mhz chip, that's what you need to replace it with. But what do I know...