PDA

View Full Version : IBM XT dos bootable floppy disk

GeneralMichaelXT
May 31st, 2015, 07:05 AM
I have been having issues installing dos 3.3 on my IBM XT. From my understanding you need a dos 3.3 boot disk which i downloaded and put in a 5.25 floppy. But when i place the dos 3.3 floppy in the computer it attempts to load the floppy then freezes with the light indicator staying on. The whole computer is frozen on a black screen with a flashing dash. The same thing proceeds to happen on another computer from 1995.

SO to make sure it wasn't the copy i downloaded or the floppy disk I download another version of dos 3.3 from another source and use another floppy disk and the exact same issue persists.

The boot-able floppy contains the following files: COMMAND.COM, FDISK.COM, FORMAL.COM, IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS, SYS.COM.

please help!!!!!

modem7
June 4th, 2015, 02:00 AM
I have been having issues installing dos 3.3 on my IBM XT. From my understanding you need a dos 3.3 boot disk which i downloaded and put in a 5.25 floppy.
Is the 5.25" drive in your IBM XT a 360K type ?

Is the image that you downloaded designed for 360K floppies? If so, did you put the image onto a 360K floppy (rather than a 1.2M floppy)?

The same thing proceeds to happen on another computer from 1995.
Does that computer have its own 5.25" drive or did you move the 5.25" drive from the IBM XT into that computer ?

If that computer has its own 5.25" drive, is that drive a 360K one or a 1.2M one ?

What process, and in which computer, did you use to create the boot floppy?

please help!!!!!
If you like, I can freely post to you a known working 360K boot floppy (of DOS 3.3)

Stone
June 4th, 2015, 02:56 AM
Can you get the XT to boot with any other DOS boot disk you have?

modem7
June 5th, 2015, 05:09 PM
Michael. You can reach me at temp6432836 at outlook.com.au