PDA

View Full Version : Speakers?

t2icky
October 18th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Hey,

I'm looking to buy some new speakers shortly. I would mostly be using them for gaming, i'm a hardcore gamer. Also i would listen to some music. I was wondering if you guys recommend a particular kind or even model. Thanks for any help in advance.

-t2icky

Unknown_K
October 18th, 2006, 09:35 PM
I don't suppose you have a stereo nearby you can run the output to?

t2icky
October 19th, 2006, 05:21 PM
no i dont have

alexkerhead
October 19th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Check these out, they have earth shaking bass, and ear rattling highs!!
The ultimate hardcore gamer speakers.

http://www.mcbia.com/auction/reggie/4q_speakers_sp_691.jpg

fxg
October 20th, 2006, 02:51 AM
=)) that was a good one :haha:

Most gamers out there seem to be going for logitech speakers, but i don't recomend them for music quality [they are aimed at making explosions not fine reproduction of music]. I would go for Empire or at least Creative...

Mad-Mike
October 20th, 2006, 05:28 PM
I've been using the $9.99 pair of Durabrands I bought at Wal-Mart, maybe not the best out there, but they work great for me musically.

atari2600a
October 20th, 2006, 05:56 PM
I usually use headphones when gaming. Go to your local surpluses; if your lucky, you might be able to find a good pair of studio-quality headphones!

Mad-Mike
October 20th, 2006, 05:59 PM
I use headphones all the time, but sometimes I just use speakers, mostly on my vintage computers where having to reach around back all the time to hook up headphones is a pain.

I use the durabrands with my 486, 286, and eventually the XT, but I use JVC headphones on my main computer, and a pair of dollar store boom-mic headphones on my laptops.

Terry Yager
October 20th, 2006, 07:42 PM
This Dell laptop I'm uzing has the most suckfull speakers I've ever seed (heard?). I use headphones, even though I hafta stand on my head just to plug 'em in.

--T

Sharkonwheels
October 20th, 2006, 10:30 PM
I have a Boston Acousitcs setup I got at a thrift shop for $10 ! AC adapter and all! Has the L/R sound "cubes" for lack of a better word, and a cut elittle sub.

Sounds REALLY good, though!

I'm sure if you hit some thrifts, or fleaBay, you can find something good and cheap!

Tony

alexkerhead
October 20th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Here are my real computer speakers.
http://www.ubertechworld.com/images/hifi_setup/100_0811.jpg

No joke.

Sharkonwheels
October 21st, 2006, 12:08 AM
:shocked:

Talk about your Lamborghini for groceries!!!

NICE setup... mine's a little more toned down.
Pair of PSB Image 5T towers for the fronts, PSB Image 2B surround rears, Klipsch Sub and center channel, Pioneer elite 47TX receiver.

There really is nothing like good sound, is there?

I *ALMOST* bought a pair of Martin-Logans last year - Sound Advice had them 2-for-1 on clearance (no, not the $10,000 - they were like $1200 ea normally) but I *REALLY love these PSB's.

I'm trying to convince m wife that I *HAVE* to have teh new Image 65T's
http://www.psbspeakers.com/product.php?pId=12&sId=3

If any of you are in the market for home speakers, you REALLY need to do yourself a favor and at least audition PSB's. They're designed by Paul S. Barton (hence, PSB) in Canada.

Now, alot of people don't know, but the Canadian government funded an audio resarch facility many moons ago, and they allow companies like PSB, among others, to use it. There have been some SERIOUSLY good sounding speakers coming out of or northern neighbors fr a good while now.

People just dont know it - they see "Bose" or "B&W" and think it's great.

I personally think there's no better bang for the buck than the PSB's.

No, I don;t work for 'em, sell 'em, or have anything remotely to do with them.
They just kick butt, and I'm just sayin' ...

Tony

atari2600a
October 21st, 2006, 12:16 AM
'Eh, while we're talking about our setups now, I've got some 8" Sony SS-U 4030 speakers on my dresser. They're powered by an ~30 year-old receiver I found in a dumpster, accidentally set fire to, & is practically held together (electronics-wise) by electrical tape. Hey, you get what you pay for! :p (the speakers where free)

EDIT: ...well, not exactly free. They're my fathers; they've been sitting in the attic aging...

Sharkonwheels
October 21st, 2006, 12:35 AM
Speaking of attics...I THINK I have a pair of old-school Acoustic Research, AR70's mebe? can't remember the model. Sound pretty nice though.

Any takers? decent shape, eing as they're what? 15-20yo?

Tony

applefreak
October 21st, 2006, 01:22 AM
I'm looking to buy some new speakers shortly.
i really recommend SOUNDSTICKSII

http://www.harmankardon.com/product_detail.aspx?Region=USA&Country=US&Language=ENG&cat=MME&prod=SOUNDSTICKSII&sType=C

Vlad
October 21st, 2006, 07:11 AM
I prefer Creative Labs myself. I've always used their 2.1 setup. Good sound for music or games.

80sFreak
October 21st, 2006, 04:52 PM
Here are my real computer speakers.
http://www.ubertechworld.com/images/hifi_setup/100_0811.jpg

No joke.

BOOM.

;-)

But IMHO that TV is precariously perched wayyyy tooo high...

Cheers,

80sFreak

chuckcmagee
October 22nd, 2006, 09:47 AM
Really!! Or that wood box will collapse sideways (sheer stress).

Sharkonwheels
October 22nd, 2006, 02:30 PM
Dang You guys tryin' to VooDoo his setup or something???

Tony

alexkerhead
October 22nd, 2006, 10:21 PM
I weight in the neighborhood of 300lbs and stood on it, it wont fall, see the wood block braces in the inside corners?
No nails, just brass screws.

USSEnterprise
October 23rd, 2006, 06:20 AM
I've got an set of Altec Lansing 2.1 channels speakers. They cost me $30 at walmart, and the sound is excellent. Only problem is they pick up RF interference, even when they are unplugged.

80sFreak
October 23rd, 2006, 08:59 AM
I weight in the neighborhood of 300lbs and stood on it, it wont fall, see the wood block braces in the inside corners?
No nails, just brass screws.

i was thinking more along the lines of it teetering forwards or backwards...

Cheers,

80sFreak

alexkerhead
October 23rd, 2006, 09:42 AM
i was thinking more along the lines of it teetering forwards or backwards...

Cheers,

80sFreak

Ahh, ok.
The bottom and top panels are 18" deep, and the side rails are 10" deep.
So dont worry.;)