PDA

View Full Version : How cool

dongfeng
October 20th, 2006, 03:37 AM
I just sold a 486 DX2 66 on eBay, I received an email today from the buyer who tells me it is going to be put to good use in industry!

Apparently a 486 was used to control a machine that produces semiconductors, and the original computer died. As the controller cards where EISA, my eBay 486 was perfect! A replacement machine is 500,000+ so a 486 on eBay is much cheaper alternative :)

Just thought it was quite interesting!

carlsson
October 20th, 2006, 10:23 AM
So you sold it for "only" 500? :-)

atari2600a
October 20th, 2006, 10:30 AM
I always wonder why they don't use an emulator like Bochs or VPC to do these things...

Chris2005
October 20th, 2006, 10:41 AM
So you sold it for "only" 500? :-)

Be advised that the comma in the US and probably the UK is used differently then in mainland Europe, where it's usually the means to separate a whole number from it's fractional part. What he meant by 500,000 probably means 1/2 million pounds.

carlsson
October 20th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Yes, I am aware of the comma versus decimal dot. I figured if a replacement system costs 500000, it was reasonable to pay 1/1000th for a second hand substitute.

Chris2005
October 20th, 2006, 10:56 AM
dude they leave them on the curb over here. Reasonable or not, Dong would have made out like a bandit! I'll drive around town on garbage day and be able to buy my own desert island before long! LOL LOL

carlsson
October 20th, 2006, 11:03 AM
.. given that you find about 100 (!) industrial and other companies whose production is critical dependent on an old PC of a particular make or technology. An ISA/VLB or MCA (?) based 486 wouldn't have helped this customer, the EISA part seemed important.

dongfeng
October 20th, 2006, 02:17 PM
I always wonder why they don't use an emulator like Bochs or VPC to do these things...

An emulator is useless when the custom I/O cards that control this machine won't fit in modern motherboards ;)

I actually had it for sale as a DOS gaming machine. The buyer got the highest bid at 19 pounds. What a pity I could not sell it for a higher price!

Considering the machine was free, it's not a bad sell. I have too many 486's anyway :p

sbrown
October 20th, 2006, 03:08 PM
My answer to all this isn't the issue of custom cards, it's the sheer possibility of a difference between vanilla msdos/windows dos session/emulators and how they deal with hardware.

Some older engraving tables I've worked with will work fine under plain dos, but with the exact same settings in a dos session the engraving will take 2-6 times as long as Windows does something different when sending the job down the serial.

For this example, we haven't tried yet using something like dosemu but we'll see.
I just need to plan out exactly what I need & how to make it as invisible as possible.

It's just amazing to me how many programs there are out there that have cp/m or 8-bit roots that were ported to x86 early on, and have been chugging along ever since in business.