PDA

View Full Version : Full feature Z80 port of CP/M?

JonB
June 19th, 2015, 11:51 PM
Hi all

I know there is a version of CP/M that was ported to Z80 (that is, uses Z80 rather than 8080 opcodes) but I believe it is not using any of the extended Z80 instructions. It was probably done by translation. My question is, is there a full Z80 implementation (with commented source) out there, that takes advantage of the Z80's extra features? I'm hoping that if there is, it will be faster and maybe more compact.

Cheers
JonB

Chuck(G)
June 20th, 2015, 07:10 AM
It's been awhile since I looked at TPM, but that may be a Z80-only product. I'd have to check my archives to see. Although not CP/M, but a close relative, how about TurboDOS?

Chuck(G)
June 20th, 2015, 09:14 AM
I believe that the source to TPM was released, so fixing the deficiencies wouldn't be a problem.

I don't think that Software 2000 ever release a generic version of TurboDOS, but I could be wrong.

Somewhere in my files, is a disk labeled "CP/M Alternatives" from at least 20 years back. I'll have to look for it.

JonB
June 21st, 2015, 01:45 AM
Interesting, and surprising that no one appears to have done it (ZCPR is just the CCP, not the rest of it). If TPM source is available and it really does use all the extended features, I'd have a go at getting it up on my machine.