PDA

View Full Version : Another 99/8 AND hexbus floppy drive on ebay

curtis
October 20th, 2006, 05:10 PM
I know the guy who's selling this and frankly, I'm a little amazed he's selling!

However, to (hopefully) boost his auction, here it is:
RARE TI-99/8 and Hexbus DS/DD Floppy Drive (#110046278331)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=001&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=110046278331&rd=1&rd=1

Curtis

Sharkonwheels
October 20th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Frankly, I'm surprised he's not in rehab.

$5000? He's *GOTTA* be smokin's some SERIOUSLY good stuff!

Granted, it's rare, but I don't see $5K happening.
You played with your HexBus drive yet?
Or terrified to plug it in? :D
I'd be scared out of my mind to plug in a $615 floppy drive!!!!!

Tony

chuckcmagee
October 20th, 2006, 06:10 PM
7:09 PM PDT - First bid arrives ;)

curtis
October 20th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Frankly, I'm surprised he's not in rehab.

$5000? He's *GOTTA* be smokin's some SERIOUSLY good stuff!

Granted, it's rare, but I don't see $5K happening.
You played with your HexBus drive yet?
Or terrified to plug it in? :D
I'd be scared out of my mind to plug in a $615 floppy drive!!!!!

Tony

Yeah, $5K is a reach, given the fact that 2 solo hexbus drives and one 99/8 sytem with a drive have all surfaced in the past month or so. Still, it might drive some interest and move prices up.

My bet is that he'll probably end up with around $2500-3000.

Haven't had time to play with my new toy yet. Weekends are about the only time I have for that right now. Also have to modify a 99/4A power supply to provide the necessary 18V AC!

Not really scared to plug it in. Guy I bought it from said he'd tested it a month or so ago. Plus the fact that it appears to be a VERY late prototype, and looks like the design was pretty well cast in stone, er silicon.

PLUS, I stil lneed to post pics of my second newest toy, the silver PC-8201 I picked up last month.

Sheesh, where does the time go? Seems like 36 hours a day just isn't quite enough amymore! :D

Terry Yager
October 20th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Sheesh, where does the time go? Seems like 36 hours a day just isn't quite enough amymore!

Well, when ya leave the comfort & safety of a millitary lifestyle, ya gotta make certain concessions. Civillian life can be harsh...

--T

Terry Yager
October 20th, 2006, 08:02 PM
PLUS, I stil lneed to post pics of my second newest toy, the silver PC-8201 I picked up last month.

I noticed that the one you have on eBay doesn't have the -A suffix. Is that a Japanese thing? I have an ol' NEC 8001A (CP/M desktop), and according to the information I've found, the -A designates it as being produced for the American market. Does this convention carry over to the slab models too?

--T

chuckcmagee
October 20th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Yes indeed, NO "A" for the pretty Japanese Silver model.

Sharkonwheels
October 20th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Ahhhh.... you learn something new every day.

So they suffixed all their stuff with an "a" for the American market?

Tony

curtis
October 21st, 2006, 04:05 AM
Ahhhh.... you learn something new every day.

So they suffixed all their stuff with an "a" for the American market?

Tony

Absolutely correct! Also, if you'll take a close look at the keycaps, you'll notice they're a lot "busier" than ours. LOTS of Japanese characters.

Curtis

curtis
October 27th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Well, looks like I low balled my estimate a little bit.

Steve got $3550. Not bad, especially considering the number of 99/8's and hexbus drives that have been on the past couple of months.

Maybe the plethora of TI prototypes on ebay has prompted a bit of interest in the series!

Erik, time for a TI section yet?

Curtis

Erik
October 27th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Erik, time for a TI section yet?

For you, Curtis, anything. :D

It's there now so have at it.

If I get up the gumption I'll post some pictures of my NIB TI 99/4A (some are on the website but I need to take new ones) but feel free to start posting there yourselves.

Enjoy!

Sharkonwheels
October 27th, 2006, 09:33 PM
$3500 for a TI - never thought I'd see the day, when a TI home computer would fetch more than an Altair.

Oh well - I wonder what the "missing Altair" that was used for the magazine article would fetch if it ever surfaced?

Tony