PDA

View Full Version : Epson QX-10 only partially booting

phreakindee
July 11th, 2015, 02:17 PM
Recently acquired an Epson QX-10, complete with a Titan QX-PC card, ComFiler hard drive, HASCII keyboard and some other goodies.

Now, everything turns on and asks for a disk to be inserted just fine. I get lights on the keyboard, images on the CRT, disk drives seem to read disks. However, it does not run anything completely.

I have several original disks for multiple versions of QX-10 CP/M, but they all stop loading anything after it displays the "DRIVE ASSIGNMENTS" information, showing the A, B, and M (RAM disk) drives are all connected. It just stays there, not loading anything further from the floppy, and showing a blinking cursor.

Tried writing new CP/M disks in Teledisk from TD0 images, but I get the same result. I've tried disconnecting the internal add-on cards like the Titan, no change. Tried flipping some of the dip switches around back, nada. It never goes beyond the initial CP/M screen showing the CP/M version information and drive assignments.

There is one game I have for it, and it boots up to its main menu. You're supposed to press spacebar to start the game, but it does nothing when I press the spacebar.

Any ideas on what's causing the hangups?

griffk
July 11th, 2015, 03:04 PM
Can you ensure that the keyboard/keyboard interface is working at all? The CP/M boot might be getting stuck at a kbd polling checkpoint, and you can't use the spacebar to startup the game, so maybe the keyboard circuits are to blame???

Can you Ctrl-C (or anything else) while the game is loading? If you can get any kind of response from the keyboard, at least it's one less thing to worry about..

gwk

phreakindee
July 11th, 2015, 04:09 PM
Can you ensure that the keyboard/keyboard interface is working at all? The CP/M boot might be getting stuck at a kbd polling checkpoint, and you can't use the spacebar to startup the game, so maybe the keyboard circuits are to blame???

Can you Ctrl-C (or anything else) while the game is loading? If you can get any kind of response from the keyboard, at least it's one less thing to worry about..

gwk

Ctrl-C doesn't do anything while loading, nothing seems to respond at all. The only other thing I've sort of gotten to work with the keyboard is TPM-III, which lets me input letters, but even that seems "off" somehow.

griffk
July 11th, 2015, 04:58 PM
Ctrl-C doesn't do anything while loading, nothing seems to respond at all. The only other thing I've sort of gotten to work with the keyboard is TPM-III, which lets me input letters, but even that seems "off" somehow.

Should be obvious, but can you get a hold of another keyboard, a known good one, to test the circuits out?

gwk

phreakindee
July 11th, 2015, 05:02 PM
Should be obvious, but can you get a hold of another keyboard, a known good one, to test the circuits out?

gwk

I'd love to try that, but the keyboard is proprietary to this system and uncommon so I don't have another one on-hand to test.

griffk
July 11th, 2015, 05:27 PM
I'd love to try that, but the keyboard is proprietary to this system and uncommon so I don't have another one on-hand to test.

Do a search on "SAMS Computerfacts Epson QX-10". It has some diagnostic/schematic/test info--but almost all is like "replace IC to check by substitution"

Still, there are some voltage checks and adjustments you can do, so check it out...

gwk

retrogear
July 19th, 2015, 05:31 AM
>Tried writing new CP/M disks in Teledisk from TD0 images, but I get the same result. I've tried disconnecting the internal add-on cards like the Titan, no change.

There is a teledisk image of QX10 diagnostics in Don Maslin's collection here:
http://fjkraan.home.xs4all.nl/comp/qx10/disklibrary.html
donmaslin.zip>epsqx-e.zip>q10diags.td0

As it boots, there will be a pause with the screen a solid color, another pause with a black screen,
then it will display a memory test, then do a simple keyboard check before the main diagnostics menu.

>Tried flipping some of the dip switches around back, nada.

If you search on Frank J Kraan's site he also has the technical manuals that explain the dip switch settings.
Appendix G of the operation manual shows the settings to use the diagnostics:
http://electrickery.xs4all.nl/comp/qx10/doc/index.html > omApp.pdf
Set 6 thru 8 for minimal system first, then increase.

I used to own a QX10. I have one running in a very good emulation. Please post if you make any more discoveries.
I might be able to help further. Good luck.

PS - of course, keep the add in cards removed while running the diagnostics until you determine the main logic board and keyboard are functional.

Larry G