PDA

View Full Version : IBM Aptiva 511 (2168-62F) original programs...

6885P5H
July 18th, 2015, 07:30 PM
Hello. I'd like to restore my IBM Aptiva 511 to its original state, software-wise... A few problems with that:...

I don't know what the original OS of the computer was (what would a low end IBM computer from 1994 have as its OS?).

I know IBM Aptivas came with unique IBM programs (and maybe wallpapers) but I don't have any of them. What were they? Where could I find them? ...Can they even be found?

Is there a recovery CD that could restore all those things for my computer?

I live in an area where French is the official language. Does that mean my Aptiva came with French versions of the IBM programs? I'm not sure about this because my Aptiva has a BIOS written in English. .......It probably did.

If a recovery CD exists, does a French recovery CD exists too?

Is this even possible to do? Or would I need to find a brand new Aptiva that was sold in Québec to know what it originally came with? Yeah I don't think that's going to happen... Ever. But even if the original programs and stuff are impossible to find I'd at least like to know what OS it came with.

First trying to find information about Olivetti computers, and now this... I really like to torture myself I think...

NeXT
July 18th, 2015, 08:12 PM
IBM's recovery CD's are just about impossible to find. My Aptiva S is the same way.

Caluser2000
July 18th, 2015, 09:34 PM
As you say it's a 1994 model most likely had there was the option of installing either OS/2 or PC Dos 6.x combined with Windows 3.11 or Wfw 3.11 I'd imagine.

6885P5H
July 21st, 2015, 01:25 AM
I did some research and yeah it came with PC DOS 6.3 and Windows 3.11.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to find what the right recovery CD would be for my computer... Oh and the floppy drive that was in it died.

SpidersWeb
July 21st, 2015, 01:41 AM
I had an Aptiva in late 94/early 95. 2144 series.
It dual booted OS/2 Warp 3.0 and PC DOS / Windows 3.1 and a free voucher for the upcoming Windows 95

But anyway it looks like the 2168 recovery CD(s) might be available here - http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=33277