PDA

View Full Version : Any Tandy Xenix experts out there?

Chromedome45
July 21st, 2015, 02:00 PM
Anyway I have a long post over in the Tandy, TRS-80 area about my 6000's 68k board throwing a bughlt no68k error on Xenix 3.02.
Has anyone ever dealt with this error before? And what did you do to correct it?

kyodai
August 4th, 2015, 03:44 AM
Usually a no68k error suggests a kind of hardware fault, i.e. something broken (Or incompatible) on the board, processor, memory or periphals. Xenix is pretty strict about hardware, so it will even choke on minor problems that other operating systems don't even notice or ignore. You can try to reinstall (Bad sector?), but it is normally always a hardware related problem.

Chromedome45
August 5th, 2015, 07:11 AM
Hi thanks for input. It was the memory board one bad chip in it. Now Xenix is working again. Do you know where there are any good copies of TRS-Xenix?
I have some disks but think they are corrupted.

kb2syd
August 5th, 2015, 07:23 AM
Hi thanks for input. It was the memory board one bad chip in it. Now Xenix is working again. Do you know where there are any good copies of TRS-Xenix?
I have some disks but think they are corrupted.
If you have the images I sent, they are not corrupted. Quite a few have used these images to get their Tandy Xenix machines running. For a while, there was a direct link to them from the Wiki entry under Xenix. They are 77 track images. Make sure ImageDisk knows you have a 1.2 meg drive attached. One way to test is to just dos format a disk and see if it comes out to 1.2 meg.

Chromedome45
August 5th, 2015, 08:42 AM
When I use image disk. Disk 1 and 2 which are double sided will only format to track 38 head 0. The Xenix installer complains about track 38 head 1 missing. And that's as far as it goes. So I don't know what is wrong. All the other disks I have created go the full 77 tracks.

Not blaming you at all. Just some conversion weirdness with image disk? The DMK2IMD file?

kb2syd
August 5th, 2015, 09:18 AM
When I use image disk. Disk 1 and 2 which are double sided will only format to track 38 head 0. The Xenix installer complains about track 38 head 1 missing. And that's as far as it goes. So I don't know what is wrong. All the other disks I have created go the full 77 tracks.

Not blaming you at all. Just some conversion weirdness with image disk? The DMK2IMD file?
The fact that they stop at track 38 makes me think the BIOS thinks the drive is DS/DD and not DS/HD.

What happen if you just use dos to format a disk in that drive? Does it come out as 360k or as 1.2m? If it comes out as 1.2 then there is a problem in the conversion to imagedisk from the catweasel images. I'll send you the imagedisk version of the images.

kyodai
August 6th, 2015, 01:07 AM
Or very stupid question - is it a 1.2MB drive at all? Make sure you didn't use a 360K floppy drive...

Chromedome45
August 6th, 2015, 10:30 AM
Yes it is a 1.2 MB drive. When I just put a blank HD disk in drive with no options set it formats to 1.2 MB with no errors. As stated it formats the 77 tracks of other disk fine just 2 of them in that Xenix act up and stop at track 38. But KB2SYD sent me some new images and they are formatting all the way to track 77. So I will test the 6000 later today. Working on a PC right now. I have hopes these will work! KB2SYD know these things quite well.