PDA

View Full Version : right...so who's actually using the Usenet these days?

Chris2005
October 23rd, 2006, 03:48 PM
and I don't want to hear about Google groups. Who actually employs a news reader and the whole bit. I personally have never done it :O. I do remember when some of these bbs back in the mid-90s used to claim they had access to it (or was that yankeenet and such...can't really remember). There were a few different "nets" back then.

Terry Yager
October 23rd, 2006, 04:06 PM
I still check comp.os.cpm regularly, and a couple of comp.sys.xxxx groups occaisionally.

--T

kb2syd
October 23rd, 2006, 06:04 PM
I check and post to comp.sys.tandy regularly. I use google groups and a news reader.

mbbrutman
October 23rd, 2006, 06:17 PM
I've used Usenet regularly since 1991.

Back in the ancient days it was rn ("read news") running under Ultrix. Then it was done using the news reader that came with OS/2 TCP/IP, which mysteriously broke one day. (Turned out to be that the number of newsgroups available on my server passed the magic 16K mark, and that news reader couldn't handle the larger number. A new version was available very quickly.)

For the last few years I've been using Mozilla and Firefox.

There is a lot of good stuff out there. The web didn't kill Usenet, and probably never will.

Unknown_K
October 23rd, 2006, 06:27 PM
I use XNEWS on Win2k to read and respond to a few newsgroups, and also to download files from the binaries groups.

Forte (make of Agent the newsreader) has a server that allows 10GB a month in downloads for $2.95. Unlimited speed and retention on text groups goes back months if not years while binaries groups go back a month or more.

dongfeng
October 24th, 2006, 02:51 AM
I still use it

Bill_Loguidice
October 24th, 2006, 06:36 AM
I use Outlook Express and use free access points. I only do it once in a blue moon these days.

carlsson
October 24th, 2006, 09:32 AM
I use Gnus (from within Emacs) and have a paid account on an Italian server! Well, it was a special one-time payment, so no yearly fees, although they offer that type of accounts as well for someone who has bigger needs in up/download capacity.

I read a bunch of comp.sys.* groups, some rec.* and some Swedish speaking groups. Generally, people accessing news via Google are frown upon, as second class citizens.