PDA

View Full Version : Socket 370 heatsink clip tension and overheating

TheLazy1
August 20th, 2015, 07:31 PM
Hay.
So I bought a nice copper cooler for my 1.4GHz Tualatin P3 and I'm still reading an in-bios temp of ~50c, no different than the stock cooler I had :(

I reapplied the thermal paste and got the same result so I'm assuming here isn't enough pressure pushing the heatsink onto the processor.
I've tried adjusting it with needlenose but the heatsink still seems to "slide" around a bit.

I got the processor from a guy on ebay who pre-installs an adapter to allow them to work on older slot-1 boards, it works great aside from the heat issue.
The only anomaly is that the BIOS (Asus P3V4X) throws a vcore warning yet reads 1.45v.

Is there maybe a better way to clamp down these heatsinks aside from those little bracket thingies that fit onto the plastic tabs on the socket?

Rick Ethridge
August 20th, 2015, 10:02 PM
These processors run really HOT! This was the fastest PIII made and it showed. Be glad if you can get below 60 degrees C.

Chuck(G)
August 20th, 2015, 10:57 PM
Yup. I don't think more pressure is going to do it for you. I've heard of folks taking a sheet of plate glass and some fine wet-or-dry emery paper and polishing the underside of the heat sink absolutely flat and smooth to make the best contact.

It's funny--I've never gotten better performance using plain old aluminum anti-seize compound than the fancy silver stuff.

TheLazy1
August 21st, 2015, 09:22 AM
I see, my only worry was that the overheat alarm was going off while I was running memtest.
But I am kinda disappointed the heavy copper cooler isn't doing much better than the stock one.

griffk
August 21st, 2015, 09:59 AM
I see, my only worry was that the overheat alarm was going off while I was running memtest.
But I am kinda disappointed the heavy copper cooler isn't doing much better than the stock one.

Well, you might try ACTIVE cooling...

A Peltier device/HS (plenty in the surplus/used parts market) will take the temp down *actively* at the contact surface by quite a bit more than any HS/fan combo.

gwk

Chuck(G)
August 21st, 2015, 10:24 AM
There are also liquid coolers to improve things--a very low-end "out of the box" unit should be more than adequate for the Tually CPU.

Personally, I'd make sure that there's plenty of in-case airflow and forget about the exotic stuff.

TheLazy1
August 28th, 2015, 06:23 PM
I'm kinda wondering if it's a sensor issue, I took a laser temperature probe and put it in a few spots and it showed ~35c running prime95 whereas the cpu temperature sensor has reached ~69c which is the tcase for that model iirc.
The heatsink is hot to the touch but not hot enough that you can't keep a finger on there for a while.

It is a bit annoying though because I had to set the cpu temperature to ignore in the bios otherwise I'd get "omg overheating" beeps while running memtest.

griffk
August 28th, 2015, 07:30 PM
It is a bit annoying though because I had to set the cpu temperature to ignore in the bios otherwise I'd get "omg overheating" beeps while running memtest.

Well, the WORST that will happen is probably a replacement CPU @ $25-$30, so if you take the risk, just be prepared in case.

I still say a $5 surplus Peltier device is the way to go with these hot CPUS...

gwk

Chuck(G)
August 28th, 2015, 08:59 PM
Does your motherboard use the P3 body diode or a socket thermistor to measure CPU temperature? Back in the P3 days, there were boards that did both--and some that would even allow you to select which method to read the CPU temp by.

I've got the feeling that you may be over-reacting.