PDA

View Full Version : Does the HP-86 need a proprietary composite monitor?

Floppies_only
August 25th, 2015, 08:33 PM
Gang,

Someone is auctioning an HP-86 w/o the monitor. I am wondering if it is possible to use it with a Commodore 64 monitor or a TV, even though I am not going to buy it. Another general question, since the auction house told me the seller disposed of the monitor after he tested the machine, is something like "Are peripherals more desirable/valuable than the computer itself?" I collect military radios and it seems like back when you could still buy them used, everyone and their brother had saved the radio, but never things like the headphones, microphone, and antenna that you need to use it. It kinda seems that we have the same problem with vintage computers.

If that is true, I wish there was some way to get the word out to people who are not hobbyists but who have vintage to sell, but I can't think of one. Does anyone have thoughts about this?

Sean

krebizfan
August 25th, 2015, 09:10 PM
It is supposed to work with any composite monitor.

Oh, there is a lot of breaking up sets of parts in a foolish attempt to get more money. The worst are the early giant hard drives that lose their motor assemblies and are turned into 100 pounds of junk.

tipc
August 25th, 2015, 09:20 PM
is the tortie kitten included? I think that's the most crucial issue. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-HP-Hewlett-Packard-Model-86-Computer-Mainframe-/371397691948?hash=item5679070a2c

I think it was later equipment, but I once auctioned off an HP *composite* monitor w/a tilting tube. It would tile fore and aft (at the top, or actually at the bottom also). It's one of those things I wish I'd a held onto. Why I don't know. It just seemed groovy. Can't remember if I fed it a signal or not.

I really want that kitten most of all.

Chuckster_in_Jax
August 25th, 2015, 10:24 PM
That's got to be one of the nastiest looking computers I've every seen.

krebizfan
August 25th, 2015, 10:41 PM

This is what retrobright was invented for. Not that the HP-86 qualified as a stylish machine even when new, http://www.hpmuseum.net/display_item.php?hw=35

tipc
August 26th, 2015, 12:37 AM

Oh I can do you one better. I had a weird bug about 5 years ago, attempted to make it to the bathroom but fell waaay short of that goal. I hurled onto the wooden floor and my Mac SE got splashed. Some of the puke is still stuck to it I think (it's been consigned to storage until an appropriate time).

want a photo or two?

anyone up for me blogging this post?

griffk
August 26th, 2015, 06:20 AM
Oh I can do you one better. I had a weird bug about 5 years ago, attempted to make it to the bathroom but fell waaay short of that goal. I hurled onto the wooden floor and my Mac SE got splashed. Some of the puke is still stuck to it I think (it's been consigned to storage until an appropriate time).

want a photo or two?

anyone up for me blogging this post?

I think I liked your "kitten" comment ALOT MORE..

By the way, Petco wants 150+ for kittens now -- So the kitten in the auction is actually worth MORE than the HP86!!

gwk:twisted::twisted::twisted:

tipc
August 26th, 2015, 03:10 PM
I think I liked your "kitten" comment ALOT MORE..

By the way, Petco wants 150+ for kittens now -- So the kitten in the auction is actually worth MORE than the HP86!!

gwk:twisted::twisted::twisted:

90$ @ Petsmart. Don't go to Petco much. There are agencies that will give an older cat away or for a small donations at Petco the last time I was there.

150$ is a lot. You must be in California or somewhere. I thought NJ would be high.

Floppies_only
August 29th, 2015, 06:10 PM
is the tortie kitten included? I think that's the most crucial issue. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-HP-Hewlett-Packard-Model-86-Computer-Mainframe-/371397691948?hash=item5679070a2c

I think it was later equipment, but I once auctioned off an HP *composite* monitor w/a tilting tube. It would tile fore and aft (at the top, or actually at the bottom also). It's one of those things I wish I'd a held onto. Why I don't know. It just seemed groovy. Can't remember if I fed it a signal or not.

I really want that kitten most of all.

When I called the auction house, that was discussed. The cute kitty was not included, I mentioned that people sometime annotate "Cat for scale only." Although with a kitten it makes it a bit more difficult because they vary in size.

I guess people like different things for different reasons. I was drawn to the HP-85 series because I like my HP scientific calculators better than the other kinds that I have. I was thinking it would be fun to be able to just quickly turn on the computer and write a short program to give me the answer when I am doing a long calculation. I listen to the radio a lot, and I use my calculators to better understand things like "The Chelan wildfire has grown by 22 square miles." That was today, I took the square root (working on a slide rule, this time) to discover, IIRC, that that is a square 4.7 miles on a side, which is a good way for me to understand the situation. The HPs will act like a calculator from the command line. I have the manual for their dialect of BASIC.

The item got re-listed. I am tempted to still buy it, even though it would only see casual use. However, for some reason, this machine is attractive to me, for aesthetic value.

Sean

tipc
August 29th, 2015, 10:37 PM
LOL @ for scale only. They would have used a coke can then.

That kitten was put there for one and only one reason - the cuteness factor! Those lying so and sos! LOL

tipc
August 31st, 2015, 12:17 PM
well if you like calculators, I would think the units that had a small crt built in (85,87) would represent the proper "movin on up to the east side" from the calculator scene. I don't know of too many would be nerds who wouldn't be someone awestruck by one of those.