PDA

View Full Version : Windows 3.0 floppys /Aamazing VGA-500 driver floppys with manual.

jobney
August 29th, 2015, 08:29 AM
I'm new to the forum. (going through my old boxes) I have a Unisys cardboard box that has my original floppy disks for windows 3.0 on it. I don't know if I should junk them or find someone that wants them. I know what the wife would choose. Do giveaways go in the marketplace as well? Should I even bother? I would imagine you could just download this.

I also found my old video card driver floopys with manual. Also from around 1991 I think. With it was an IH 3120 motherboard manual. All look just as new as they did in 91.

So trash them?

SoftPCMuseum
September 15th, 2015, 07:07 AM
I would definitely keep them, but preserve then with high-resolution scans and possibly offer them to a site that preserves old software (this site here doesn't allow links to such downloads due to its rules on copyright issues from what I understood of the rules, but correct me if I am wrong).

On that note, this appears to be an OEM version of Microsoft Windows 3.0 which was provided to UNISYS to ship with their machines, and which might also include extra drivers as a result.

Chuck(G)
September 15th, 2015, 08:23 AM
Is this stuff rare? I still have Windows 3.0 (and the associated DDK) in the original boxes that's been sitting on my shelf since the early 90s.

Malc
September 15th, 2015, 10:26 AM
I wouldn't say it was rare, I have a boxed set of windows 3.0 somewhere, Pretty sure i've seen it for download on the net too, Does the DDK include C++ 1.52 or was that just with the Technet / MSDN CD's ?, Can't remember now if it did or didn't.

Chuck(G)
September 15th, 2015, 10:46 AM
I'd have to go back and look, but I believe that the DDK did not include either MASM nor C back then. At least I remember purchasing both--but I can check if you're really curious.

For 3.0, I believe that device driver work was still largely done in assembly. At least mine was. I also recall using Compuserve to request a VXD ID number from MS (3218h).

Malc
September 15th, 2015, 11:06 AM
Nah just wondered :-)

Maverick1978
September 15th, 2015, 11:32 AM
Is this stuff rare? I still have Windows 3.0 (and the associated DDK) in the original boxes that's been sitting on my shelf since the early 90s.
Rare? Probably not...worth archiving for preservation? Probably - at least I think so. Space is cheap, especially when uploaded to the net..

Chuck(G)
September 15th, 2015, 12:10 PM
I just wondered if the original physical stuff (disks, boxes and manuals) was uncommon. Data can easily be cloned losslessly. There can't have been too many Windows 3.0 DDKs sold.

Malc
September 15th, 2015, 12:57 PM
I can see the DDK being of more interest to someone into that sort of stuff especially boxed with manuals, Worth keeping hold of, Like you say i doubt there was too many sold compared to the OS.

gslick
September 15th, 2015, 02:24 PM
I'd have to go back and look, but I believe that the DDK did not include either MASM nor C back then. At least I remember purchasing both--but I can check if you're really curious.

For 3.0, I believe that device driver work was still largely done in assembly. At least mine was. I also recall using Compuserve to request a VXD ID number from MS (3218h).

I believe the DDK included a version of MASM and LINK which was one of the versions used internally to build VxDs and not exactly the same as a standard retail version.

I never saw any VxD code written in C until the Windows 95 days. It wasn't supported in the Windows 3.0 / 3.1 days.

Chuck(G)
September 15th, 2015, 07:27 PM
I'll have to check. Win3.0 is kind of fuzzy in my mind. I do recall seeing an article about doing VxDs using C in an issue of WDDJ (may it rest in piece).