PDA

View Full Version : Problems running Millenium: Return to Earth on my PS/2. Is anyone running this on XT?

sean1978
September 5th, 2015, 07:44 AM
I'm trying to get one of my favorite games running on my PS/2 model 25 (MCGA, 8086, 640K RAM, IBM DOS 5)

The game exits to DOS after the splash screen, it displays "THANK YOU FOR PLAYING MILLENIUM" as if I have quit the game.

I vaguely remember having this problem initially on my old PS/2 of the same spec in 1992, but my old memory could be jumbled with something else ("corrupted" lol). I do know that I got it working on that machine because I spent many hours playing.

I attempted running the game from a clean boot disk with no mouse driver to no avail. Same issue.

I don't think I can really do anything to free up more RAM on this machine because it's not a 286 right? No DOS=HIGH, UMB? ETC?

EDIT: MEM shows 582,336 bytes largest executable program size with my mouse driver loaded. The game does require 640KB.

DOUBLE EDIT: Switched from MS Mouse driver 8.0 to Cutemouse. I now have 592,112 bytes available. Nice, but my game is still not working.

fatwizard
September 5th, 2015, 09:46 PM
I tried the game on a IBM PC 5150 with 640K and a 16 bit VGA card, and I get the same results that you are getting. This machine has the stock 8088, a Quadram card to take it to 640K with a clock, and a serial Logitech mouse. As soon as you press "any key" to dispense with the intro screen it bombs to the dos prompt with the thanks for playing message. I happen to have a KLH 286 AT clone I'm currently playing with, so I tried the game on it. It runs fine on the 286. In fact, it looks interesting. I've never played it before, so I think it might be a fun way to put some miles on the KLH after it's little recent refurb.

sean1978
September 6th, 2015, 03:42 AM
Thanks for making an attempt. It IS a great game. I'm beginning to wonder if my memories of actually playing it are from another machine. I do know that I purchased the game for my PS/2 originally because it was one of the few in my town that my system made the requirements for. Here's the box, according to this it should work on a PS/2 model 25:

sean1978
September 6th, 2015, 06:40 AM
Well, It appears to work perfectly after a V30 upgrade. I'm beginning to wonder if my old PS/2 had one installed already when I got it.

fatwizard
September 6th, 2015, 07:33 AM
Well, It appears to work perfectly after a V30 upgrade. I'm beginning to wonder if my old PS/2 had one installed already when I got it.

Seems that might be the case. I pulled the 8088 from a 5160 XT motherboard and installed a V20 CPU. After that, the game will run on this XT board as well. The box clearly indicates it will run on an XT, but it seems to be in error.