PDA

View Full Version : HP 79xx Disk Transport

NeXT
September 6th, 2015, 08:20 PM
In a few days I gotta make a trip to pick up two 2648 series terminals and a disk drive. No word on the machine they would of been attached to. :(
I was never give a specific model but I was told it was a "79somethingsomething" and about the size of a two drawer filing cabinet which makes it sound like a 7920/7925/7935 series drive and it was in his storage room which was being cleaned out so unless it had previously crashed it should be in good shape. I want to make sure I'm ready to deal with driving this beast back home given that it weighs 350 pounds but while looking over whatever documentation I can that might pertain to the drive I'm getting I can't find anything regarding locking the heads for transport. Does anyone know if there are specific steps for moving the drives or do the heads lock when retracted?

NeXT
September 12th, 2015, 03:04 AM
It turned out to be a 7925.
I could not find any sort of locking mechanism, nor did the heads seem to also move freely so I am still on the assumption the heads are solenoid locked unless someone says otherwise.

mloewen
September 12th, 2015, 06:49 PM
It turned out to be a 7925.
I could not find any sort of locking mechanism, nor did the heads seem to also move freely so I am still on the assumption the heads are solenoid locked unless someone says otherwise.

There isn't any additional locking mechanism for shipping. Check out the installation manual:

http://www.hpmuseum.net/document.php?hwfile=3331

NeXT
September 12th, 2015, 08:46 PM
Yep. Before I saw this post I went over the drive to see how it survived the trip and I can now clearly see a solenoid that automatically locks the heads when they retract. I need to spend some time going over the documents on Bitsavers and then I might start a new thread if I can't figure out the interfacing.